Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

L hi temp gasket replacement, ique 110 install, and an answer to where do you store your eggsesories

Options
xraypat23
xraypat23 Posts: 421
edited April 2012 in EggHead Forum

I fried my gasket on my 5th cook. Apparently a warm up low temp short term burn off, a chicken cook, 2 16+ hour overnighters wasn't enough to cure it. When pizza night rolled around the gasket was toast in seconds. Didn't stand a chance. 

A quick call to bge had the high temp nomex shipped out free of charge. Went gasket less for a while. But it came with one, so another went on. 

Step by step? Not quite. Scraped with a straight edge automotive gasket remover, disassembled top and bottom. Wiped down heavily with acetone and it just wasn't coming off. Gave up and turned to power tools. 40 grit on a DA random orbit. Worked like a charm. Shiny ceramic all around. Prepped again with acetone. Sprayed both the gasket and the egg with 3m super 77 as recommended let set for a minute than gently put on the gasket. Reassembled and did the dollar bill test and seems like I nailed it first shot. 

As far as the ique. Bent in the lil tab, and test fit. Didn't like the way it fit with the mesh spark guard. Removed that and slid in the adapter. Much better. Seems air tight. The draft door slid tightly behind the adapter and I pushed it right to the edge of the inlet tube. Eggs gotta cure for 24 hours. I'll give it 36. And test everything out. 

imageimageimageimage

Comments

• tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    Options
    Based on your post, the gasket that was sent didn't have the adhesive on it?  
    Did it recommend pre-shrinking 

Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • xraypat23
    Options
    No, the gasket was just bare "nomex" from what I've read, it's not actually nomex. I did put it in an oven and set it to 300, once it hit 300 i left it in for 30 minutes. I don't know if it actually did anything, but at least i know any water vapor was out of it. Pretty simple install thou once i got the old stuff off. Not quite sure if it was gasket material, old adhesive, or just smokey residue, but if I didn't break out the sander id probably still be in my garage 12 hours later trying to get it clean. I probably went overboard, but I'm a do it once, do it right kind of person.
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Let us know how that iQue110 works. Looks like a great little inexpensive unit. It was on one of the ones on my list, but I was given an Auber for Christmas instead.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• xraypat23
    Options
    Im going to either fire up the ique tonight just for a test fire and low temp gasket cure, or tomorrow for a rib cook. I'll definitely let everyone know how it runs. Removing the spark screen worried me a little, but to be honest i usually didn't have it across anyways.