Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Use of fresh wood for smoking

Options
Smokey_Pete
Smokey_Pete Posts: 14
edited April 2012 in EggHead Forum
Has anyone used fresh wood?  My parents were trimming the fruit trees in their back yard and i took some branches of pear wood.  Do I let it dry, or can I just throw it on the coals as is?

Comments

• RichardBronosky
    Options
    I'm pretty sure the wood you usually smoke with has been kiln dried to prevent you from burning sap. Luckily, you own a kiln.
    I finally took the plunge and bought my large Big Green Easter Egg from Roswell Hardware in Roswell, GA 03/31/2012
  • Smokey_Pete
    Options
    Is there a danger to burning sap?
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    there's no issue using green wood.  some swear by it. others swear at it.  it doesn't create bitter flavors or any appreciable creostoe.  woodstve, high amounts, continuos burning? skip it.

in handfuls? no problem.
    heck. watch any show on BBQ.  some dude is always saying green wood is his secret.  the other guy swearing it's best to season it.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • gerhardk
    gerhardk Posts: 942
    Options
    I just used some branches, (1 to 2 inch diameter) from a local apple orchard and they had a great smoke to them.  They have dried about 4 to 6 weeks but definitely not kiln dried.

Gerhard
  • OLD NORTH STATE BBQ CO.
    Options
    Myron Mixon uses exclusively fresh peach wood. Says the sap adds sweetnes to the meat.

"Where the weak grow strong and the strong grow great, Here's to "Down Home," the Old North State!"

Med & XL

• pezking7p
    pezking7p Posts: 132
    Options
    Snagged some pearwood from my friend's dad a few weeks ago. 

He had just cut the tree down, it made delicious smoke :)