Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

PartyQ technical question?

Options
OLD NORTH STATE BBQ CO.
edited April 2012 in EggHead Forum
Just got the PartyQ. Going to use it tonight on a butt. Looks simple enough, but the directions weren't too clear on a few technical issues. Do initiate the PartyQ after I light the Egg, or after I get it up to temperature. And what is the correct position on the Daisy wheel. I assume it's completely closed. As always, I appreciate any and all suggestions.

"Where the weak grow strong and the strong grow great, Here's to "Down Home," the Old North State!"

Med & XL

Comments

• gerhardk
    gerhardk Posts: 942
    Options
    I don't know about the PartyQ but I have an Auber controller and I keep the top vent open about the thickness of a penny.  I think you still want to have a draft from bottom to top even if it is assisted by a fan it needs to exhaust.

Gerhard

• JayHawkEye
    JayHawkEye Posts: 196
    Options
    I let it come up to close to temp before using the PQ, and then leave the vents open a very little bit. If it gets too hot, close the vents down, but you don't really want them so tight that the fan is always running. Also, if you're going to open the lid to check on things (for whatever reason), shut the PQ off before doing so.
    I just did two BB with the PQ and they came out very well. It took longer than normal since I was able to hold my XL at such a steady low temp (210*). Love my PQ!
    "Take yourself lightly, but what you do seriously." - M. Martin XL BGE - Johnston, IA
  • OLD NORTH STATE BBQ CO.
    Options
    Thanks for the advice boys. 4 am- just getting the butt going. The PartyQ is ridiculously easy to use.

"Where the weak grow strong and the strong grow great, Here's to "Down Home," the Old North State!"

Med & XL

• waegger
    waegger Posts: 88
    Options
    Done 6 cooks with my pq and jayhawkeye is right on.
  • ben4unc
    ben4unc Posts: 14
    Options
    I love my new Party Q!  I put it on when I get close to temps and leave the wheel open about the size of a penny.