Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s almost Halloween and if you’re cooking on your EGG, you may end up with more people knocking on your door asking for pork chops than candy! In case you’re willing to share and want to please a crowd, we recommend warm Margherita Pizza, FGL’s Lemon Pepper Wings or our favorite, S’mores in a Cone!

If you missed the 17th Annual EGGtoberfest here are the highlights Click Here Fall is upon us, and it's a great time for getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

White Smoke / Wood Chunks Questions

canadianehcanadianeh Posts: 32
edited March 2012 in EggHead Forum
I have a question about lighting my egg and white smoke.

Last night I dumped in some all-natural sugar maple lump. I tried using a piece of paper towel dipped in grapeseed oil and stuffed that in the middle. I lit the paper towel and got the fire going (maybe 20/30 mins).

I waited until all the white smoke was gone and started cooking, but as more coals started to catch fire - I was seeing more and more white smoke. This seems like it would be perfectly normal that ff you're only lighting a section of the coals, that more white smoke will be produced each time more coals are lit. Am I wrong?

Is there a better away? My first cook on the egg I got a whole chimney of coals goals and dumped that on more coals in the fire box. That seemed fine but I ended up with a VERY high heat that was hard to bring down.

I added some wood chunks to the top which kept catching on fire.

Any tips for me?

Comments