Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Big Wood Score

pezking7p
pezking7p Posts: 132
edited March 2012 in EggHead Forum
My first thread, howdy.  Got a large BGE a week ago, been grilling/smoking all week. 

I wanted to do a pork butt, but I couldn't find apple/cherry chunk anywhere in my area.  I finally asked my roommate if his dad had any apple/cherry around (his parents own a large area of land and are constantly cutting down trees).  It turns out his dad has a ton of stuff already cut. 

I made out with about 75lbs of apple, cherry, and pear wood!  He's got huge piles of hickory as well, just sitting and waiting for me :)

Just started a picnic, nervously trying to stabilize the temp, pear wood smells delicious.

Cheers.

Comments

• pezking7p
    Just woke up to check temps, dome temp was at 300, picnic temp 200, though the instant-read showed 193-200 depending on where I checked, I'm going to give it another hour or so. 

I'm shocked about the dome temp, as I spent all night fretting that my fire would go out.  Never could get the egg below 250, I guess I need less top vent?  Bottom vent is about 1/8" open with the screen closed, top about 1/8" open.  Any suggestions?

Pics incoming soon. 
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    I'm making my first as well. I just posted a pick of my bottom and Daisy wheel. Ill post as it keeps going.
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • pezking7p
    I saw your daisy wheel, I'm definitely going to use the wheel part as the vent next time as you did.  My bottom vent is about in the same place as yours.