Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

DiqiQDX2

Options
HotSause
HotSause Posts: 1
edited March 2012 in EggHead Forum
I have purchased a BBQ Guru and the instructions are not written well at all can someone tell me the best way to set this up for the first time ?

Comments

• ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    edited March 2012
    Options
    Power it up.
    Push the food button --> go up or down to set the finish internal meat target.
    Push the pit button --> go up or down to set the target pit temp.
    All set.
    Now press the pit & up button at the same time and the display will scan back and forth between the current pit and food temps.
    For my XL, I set the fan damper closed to about 1/3.

See docs here for other info:

Packerland, Wisconsin

• JMSetzler
    JMSetzler Posts: 75
    Options
    It's really pretty straight forward.  Install the fan adapter and plug the fan into the adapter and then connect it to the controller.  Connect both of your temp probes to the controller and then connect the power as well.  When the unit powers up, you can set the desired pit and meat temps.  To do that, you press PIT and then you can press the up/down buttons to set your desired pit temp.  Press FOOD to set your desired meat temp.  Place your probes in your meat and in your cooker and then let'er rip!  I also suggest letting your egg warm up a little before you let the guru fan start working to help keep from overshooting your temp. 
  • Phatpaddy
    Phatpaddy Posts: 10
    Options
    I'm trying a new DigiQX2 in the morning. Any recommendations on setting air flow on the  the dual-function top? Will be cooking an 8LB butt low & slow at 250. Planning on closing the damper 50%. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
  • BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    edited March 2012
    Options
    I close my DFMT down to just a crack and if you have the 10 cfm fan close the damper on the fan down to between 1/4 and 1/2.

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • JMSetzler
    JMSetzler Posts: 75
    Options
    You may also want to look at the instructions and turn off the ramp down feature if it's enabled by default.
  • Phatpaddy
    Options
    I'm trying a new DigiQX2 in the morning. Any recommendations on setting air flow on the  the dual-function top? Will be cooking an 8LB butt low & slow at 250. Planning on closing the damper 50%. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
    Thanks for the feedback! Of course I forgot to close the damper and was wondering why the temp was hovering at 300. Finally realized the issue and closed damper to 50% - still ran to hot.  Closed damper to appx. 1/4 and just a crack on the DFMT as you recommended. Now the temp is dropping nicely.  Mucho appreciation for the suggestions gentlemen. I'll let you know how the smoke progresses.  Forcing myself not to open the Egg for six hours.
  • joe@bge
    joe@bge Posts: 394
    Options
    I close my DFMT down to just a crack and if you have the 10 cfm fan close the damper on the fan down to between 1/4 and 1/2.

Mike

This recommendation works for me everytime!  The Guru will keep the pit within a couple degrees of the target for the duration of the cook.
  • woody's wood pit
    Options
    I amg glad im not the only one who has trouble understanding it...have had it for about 6 mos and am still figuring it out...good luck

Rockwall Texas, just east of Dallas where the humidity and heat meet! Life is too short to get caught in the fast lane behind somebody slow!

XL, LG, Sm, Mini and Weber for drink holder

• Phatpaddy
    Options
    OK. At 1:55 minutes in to the cook the Egg is holding rock steady at 250.  Damper at 50% with slight approximately 1/8 inch crack on the DFMT.  DigiQ is pulsing a duration of about a half second every 7 seconds. BGE thermometer gradually climbing from 200 to 210 over last 20 minutes. Ambient temperature is about 70 degrees.  Does this sound about right? Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Phadpaddy
  • EggRacer
    EggRacer Posts: 400
    Options
    OK. At 1:55 minutes in to the cook the Egg is holding rock steady at 250.  Damper at 50% with slight approximately 1/8 inch crack on the DFMT.  DigiQ is pulsing a duration of about a half second every 7 seconds. BGE thermometer gradually climbing from 200 to 210 over last 20 minutes. Ambient temperature is about 70 degrees.  Does this sound about right? Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Phadpaddy
    You may need to go to 25% damper as the egg heats up. I usually start at around 50% but a bit later need to choke it down to 25% to maintain my selected heat.
    XLBGE & LBGE
    North Richland Hills, TX
  • HotSause
    HotSause Posts: 1
    Options
    I have purchased a BBQ Guru and the instructions are not written well at all can someone tell me the best way to set this up for the first time ?
    Thanks for the info Iam trying it today
  • Phatpaddy
    Options
    DigiQ is performing in a most excellent manner. At 6 hours, Egg steady at 250. Still pulsing fan at the same rate at the 2 hour cook time. Ambient temp has risen to 80 and Egg is now in the sun, Butt temp is at 155.  Time to mop with apple juice with a bit of Cayenne pepper and rub. Yee  Haw.
  • Phatpaddy
    Options
    Thanks everyone for sharing your experiences with the DigiQ with me.  I followed most of it and the Egg and DigiQ performed flawlessly.  JMSetzler was right - The DigiQ began ramping down once the Butt hit 172 degrees eight hours into the cook.  I turned the ramp down feature off and the Egg quickly returned to 250. I should have followed his advise from the beginning. Oddly, after 14.5 hours on the egg, the Butt would not go above 178 degrees.  I checked the Butt in several places with another thermometer and is was +/- 2 degrees to the DigiQ meat probe. It actually went from 178 to 175 and held 175 for three hours. The Butt was just under 9 pounds so maybe it needed a few more hours.  I'm a new BGE man (since January 2012) and I am still amazed with the Egg.  After 14.5 hours of holding 250 degrees, it only burned 50% to 60% of the lump. Amazingly efficient!!  Thanks again all for your comments and advice.  Butt turned out OK but I still have a long way to go on the cooking low-n-slow learning curve.

Phatpaddy
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    Phatdaddy, a butt's internal temp will stall or plateau in the 170ish range for hours and hours.  It will then start to climb again and reach that 200ish range you want for pulling the pork.
    The Naked Whiz
  • Phatpaddy
    Options
    Whiz - Thanks.  I have had great success cooking chickens, steaks, burger, pizza, and fajitas on my BGE but Butts have been kicking my butt.  You are absolutely correct on the plateau. The butt I attempted hung in the mid 170's for hours and I lost patience.  The next butt cook I am going to trust the meat probe and let her rip until I hit my target temp of 195 - don't care how long it takes.  I think the third evening cocktail got the best of me and I bailed. Thanks for the feedback.

Phatpaddy
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    Options
    This weekend I made my first butt about 6 lbs. My remote probe died half way through, so i was winging it. I cooked until an internal temp of 202, and that thing almost fell apart when i picked it up with tongs. It was almost shredding itself.
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket!