Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Temp controller question

frankc623
frankc623 Posts: 168
edited March 2012 in EggHead Forum
Hey all,

I am looking at purchasing a CyberQ or DigiQ in the near future(waiting on the wifi feature) but I was also considering a Maverick Et 732. Is it necessary to get an ET 732 if I am going to purchase either temp controller? Any thoughts? THanks!

Frank
L-BGE | Westminster, MD

Comments

• ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    edited March 2012
    The maverick monitors the meat and pit, the DigiQ does the same but additionally controls the temp of the pit with a fan.  That's the difference.  Depends what you want to do and how much money you want to spend.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• I talked to BBQ Guru today and they said the new Wifi unit will be out in the next two weeks.  Although, that is what they said back in October.  I am holding out for the new model.  FYI.
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    I talked to BBQ Guru today and they said the new Wifi unit will be out in the next two weeks.  Although, that is what they said back in October.  I am holding out for the new model.  FYI.
    Can't wait to hear the first reviews on these things and how they compare to the Stoker.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• centex99
    centex99 Posts: 231
    Though, one difference I see, the stoker will control multiple pits and the bbq guru I think is still single pit only... I could and hope I'm wrong, but thats what it appears to be in the pics...

• centex99
    I'm highly considering a stoker, just not sure I can justify the cost over an auber or partq... :-/
  • gerhardk
    gerhardk Posts: 942
    I bought the Auber and tested it tonight cooking chicken legs, the fan seems powerful enough for the large egg and it did a good job holding 350F. I don't have any trouble holding temps for this type of cook so I doubt that I will use it for this type of cook again. I bought it to give me a good nights sleep while a pork shoulder or brisket is on the egg.

Gerhard
  • Just received my stoker unit today. I'll be hooking it up wifi tomorrow. Hope it won't be too difficult. Brisket in the refrigerator. I did get it for multiple bbqs and monitoring.

I'll let you know how it goes
  • centex99
    for the stoker, goto the virtual weber bullet website and look into StokerLog... awesome software that is available to compliment the stoker!
  • frankc623
    Thanks for the info guys. I think i will hold off on getting a ET732 and just wait for the wifi unit to come out. My father-in-law has a stoker(older model) and says its alright. He has had some problems with it, that's why I am considering a bbq guru controller. Hopefully the wait won't be too much longer!
    L-BGE | Westminster, MD
  • bigguy136
    bigguy136 Posts: 1,362
    for the stoker, goto the virtual weber bullet website and look into StokerLog... awesome software that is available to compliment the stoker!
    I second that!

Big Lake, Minnesota

2X Large BGE, 1 Mini Max, Stokers, Adjustable Rig

• centex99

frankc623, make sure your father in law has updated his guru firmware wise... it may solve all of his issues...

and if he's still upset about it, I'd likely buy it if he wants to sell it for a good price!

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Centex, you mean updated his Stoker firmware?
    The Naked Whiz
  • frankc623
    I will mention it next time I see him. Thanks!
    L-BGE | Westminster, MD
  • joe@bge
    joe@bge Posts: 394
    Though, one difference I see, the stoker will control multiple pits and the bbq guru I think is still single pit only... I could and hope I'm wrong, but thats what it appears to be in the pics...

The current CyberQ (Non-WiFi) supports two pits, but the new WiFi CyberQ unit from BBQ Guru appears to only support one based on the pic on their facebook site - it only has one food and one pit port on the unit - but the official release specs haven't been published.
  • pezking7p
    pezking7p Posts: 132
    Decided I need to buy one of these, then I saw the price tag.

Now I've decided to build one lol.  We'll see how that goes. 
  • frankc623
    why would you need to control 2 pits? just to get the temp in different spots? 

@pezking7p - where did you get plans to build one? 

L-BGE | Westminster, MD
  • joe@bge

So you can control two separare Eggs.  The current CyberQ II (non-WiFi) has ports for two temp probes and two fans so that you can control two separate cooks at the same time with different temps.  Think of it as two DigiQ's in one.
  • frankc623
    Gotcha. I didn't know you could run 2 fans off of a CyberQ. Thanks @joe@bge
    L-BGE | Westminster, MD
  • joe@bge

From NakedWhiz's Review - two cooker pic:

• dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    I talked to BBQ Guru today and they said the new Wifi unit will be out in the next two weeks.  Although, that is what they said back in October.  I am holding out for the new model.  FYI.
    Did BBQ Guru say what the cost of the new Wifi unit would be?  My DigiQ DX2 is awesome but I would really like the Wifi feature.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• joe@bge
    I have been checking their facebook page regularly and I haven't seen anything yet.  I might consider one because I really wanted WiFi when I bought the CyberQ II.  We'll have to see what the price is...my accessory budget is way, way over what it should be.
  • pezking7p
    pezking7p Posts: 132

No plans that I know of.  It could be as simple as an old school mercury thermostat switching a fan on/off.  Not the most elegant set up but you get the point.

I'm making one using a PIC microcontroller so it will be able to have all the fancy start-up/ramp-down/temperature hold features.  Once that's working I want to get a wireless monitor, and possibly make some kind of web app or iphone app so I can control the thing from anywhere. 

I'm still trying to learn how to do all this, but hopefully I'll have something going in 3-4 weeks.  I'll take lots of pics.