Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

BGE XL How Can I Tell I Am Buying The Latest Model

StoaterStoater Posts: 292
edited March 2012 in EggHead Forum
Hi Guys,

I have been slowly making deposits towards a BGE XL and want to be sure I am getting the latest model when its delivered, what should I be looking for as far as features go, so I can check with the dealer.

Any help is much appreciated.
·

Comments

• centex99centex99 Posts: 231

http://www.ceramicgrillstore.com/original-flip-ring-a-hangar.html

that tells you if you have one of the latest models...the ~3" measurement combined with the ~16" measurement... now there is possible a new handle on the latest design?  Not sure about those details...

·
  • CowdogsCowdogs Posts: 488

Besides the dome height, which was changed a couple of years ago, there are some newer subtle changes.  The very latest model will have a new style wooden handle.  Also all the metal hardware will be black, including the springs and all the screws, nuts and bolts.

·
  • centex99centex99 Posts: 231

Guess I don't have the latest model... but close as mine meets the dimensions but isn't black colored hardware or handle... but then again, I paid $450 with a nest/side tables...

Does the newest one have a stainless grate vs the porcelin?  How much better is this grate?  Worth upgrading?

·
  • cortguitarmancortguitarman Posts: 2,024
    edited March 2012
    My XL is 2 months old, has stainless hardware and grate. I Like the stainless grate. I still get sear marks with it.
    Mark Annville, PA
    ·
  • IrishDevlIrishDevl Posts: 1,390
    Stoater I assume you can't go to a retailer and buy the old model.  But look at the XL on the bge website, this is the new one.  When you look at the one you will purchase and if the top looks nothing like that one it is the old model.  You will know the difference.  Check this out as well:

·
  • StoaterStoater Posts: 292
    Thanks a lot guys that gives me somewhere to start.
    ·
    Thanks IrishDevl, now I can see them side by side, just emailed the link to the dealer, very helpful.
    ·
  • Dealers and destributors can have older models until they sell them all. I'd just call them and ask. The most important thing is you want the newer/ higher dome that came out a few yrs ago. It's really the only change that affects the cooking aspect of it.
    ·
    Great Thanks, I guess with the higher dome you can fit a buffalo on it.
    ·
  • IrishDevlIrishDevl Posts: 1,390
    Yes, buffalo burger - 12oz.
    ·
  • Jameson19Jameson19 Posts: 72
    Is this just an issue with the XL? Any other sizes affected?
    Large BGE in Vegas
    ·