Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Egg height and transport

Options
eggnited
eggnited Posts: 94
edited March 2012 in EggHead Forum
It just occurred to me that my wife's SUV might not be big enough to transport a large BGE. I ran a search and read that the height of the BGE - Lg. is @ 32 inches without nest. If this is true I may have to make alternate plans. The opening at the rear of our vehicle is 31 inches. Inside roof height is right at 32 inches. I have a completely beat down brush hauling truck that might make it to Salado...but may not make it back home! LOL Seriously, it's so rough it's embarrassing...and that's saying a lot for a truck. Rather not drive it that far. Can anyone verify the height of a large egg without nest?

Comments

• eggnited
    Options
    Okay...this time impatience may be a virtue. Apologies to anyone who ran outside to measure! I found the following page....

http://biggreenegghead.com/big-green-egg/product-information

Looks as though I'm dealing with 30 inches of height. I hope these aren't old dimensions! So the opening of 31 inches high will just facilitate the move! Close...gonna be tricky...but I assume not too bad. The page linked to above is a good reference for those finding this thread in the future.
  • Hillbilly-Hightech
    Options
    another option is to remove the dome, and place it in your vehicle separate from the base. I've hauled a base that was still in its shipping box in the back of my Jeep Grand Cherokee, no problem. Not sure if I could fit the base w/ the dome on top though.

(BTW, I can't go measure till 3-4 hours from now - stuck at work for now!!).
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    Options
    31"

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• eggnited
    edited March 2012
    Options
    Hey no problem...I'm betting on the link above to be accurate. My wife's 09 Forrester should be fine for the fantastic voyage home. I'm already figuring on how I can bear hug the egg to get it out at home and into the nest. I'm thinking the weight is do-able without fire box and ring...but the reach might be challenging. I have one of those hard black rubber bungee cords with removable hooks..wondering if I can use it to make the hug. Should be interesting!
  • eggnited
    edited March 2012
    Options
    bud...dang it...now I have to go back outside and see if I have 31 and 1/8 inches of height! LOL This really is rather tight. How hard is it to remove the dome?

OKAY...I have just a hair over 31.5 inches of height. The real question...am I nut for even trying to slide it in with such little clearance? Alright...I'm  a nut...but just saying....
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    Wow Kevin...lol

It's very easy to remove the dome. I'd be happy to show you at the Fest. :)
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • eggnited
    Options
    Well alrighty then!  :D Looks like I have a back up plan! Thanks bud! 
  • prosmoker
    Options
    memories,  5 yrs ago my lbge came home in the back seat of a  2000 pontiac grand prix (2 door).  i even made sure it wore a seatbelt. 
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Options
    I got my large and nest in the back of my wife's Acura MDX. I would consider the cargo area of that thing to be pretty tight. It was not a problem.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • eggnited
    edited March 2012
    Options
    Well...to update....the large fit great in my wife's Forrester...with at least a half inch to spare! :-) So glad to have it home safe but have to wait until tomorrowt to unload it from the car....since I don't want anything tragic to happen. Then... it will probably be burgers for the first cook. Gonna take it easy the first time out.
  • TUTTLE871
    TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316
    Options
    Got mine home in a Smart Car. Thats why thery are called Smart Cars they can do anything.

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.