Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best remote Thermometer?

Options
Summeraddict
Summeraddict Posts: 2
edited March 2012 in EggHead Forum
I'm looking to buy a quality remote thermometer. Any suggestions? Any to stay away from?

Comments

• SandBilly
    SandBilly Posts: 227
    edited March 2012
    Options
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    Options
    Stoker.  Monitor and control your cook from your PC.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• GADuckaholic
    Options
    Stoker if you're loaded...Maverick 732 for the rest of us.
  • boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273
    Options
    +1 on the Maverick 732
    Cookin in Texas
  • centex99
    centex99 Posts: 231
    Options
    Is the 732 worth upgrading my old 73?
  • boatbum
    Options
    Can't answer that conclusively.  Went straight to the 732 for my first one.   Supposed to be better range, little higher heat range on the cables.   I would think if you are not having any signal problems - no real reason to rush the upgrade.   732 doesnt do anything additional functionality wise - I don't think.   Others will know more.
    Cookin in Texas
  • Shawn
    Shawn Posts: 356
    Options
    The maveric ET-732
    Cheers! Shawn My Blog: http://hrmcreativebbq.blogspot.com/ My Dads Custom Handles Blog http://dannyscarvings.blogspot.com
  • GADuckaholic
    Options
    There are a few "convenience" differences on the 732. As already stated, the range is 300 ft versus 100 ft. Also, the button to sync the two units on the 73 is under the battery cover which makes it somewhat of a pain. The biggest functional difference that I can see is the higher temp range on the cables.
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Options
    How often do you have to replace the probes?  I assume that the probe goes through the hole in the dome?  I can't seem to find replacement probes on-line, anyone have a source?

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Summeraddict
    Options

The Maverick 732 seems to be a real favorite!  Thanks!   I agree, if money were no object, the Stoker sure seems pretty cool.

• Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Options
    I bought them directly from Maverick. I think they were about $30 all in for a new set. I put the temp probe in through the dome (since everything refers to dome temps) and the meat probe between the lid and base.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • boatbum
    Options
    Stoker has capabilities way beyond the maverick, not an apples to apples comparison.    Maverick tells you what is going on - Stoker does that and actually makes the changes to the heat that are needed.   That said, at this stage of my Egg experience, I am still having fun adjusting and tending things.    At some point I may move to "stoker" type of heat management - I am just not there yet.
    Cookin in Texas
  • hardegg
    hardegg Posts: 2
    Options
    OK I'm going to ask: doesn't runnig the cable of the meat probe between base and lid break the seal and make it difficult to control the temp during low and slo cooks?
  • Smoker_Guru
    Smoker_Guru Posts: 372
    Options
    OK I'm going to ask: doesn't runnig the cable of the meat probe between base and lid break the seal and make it difficult to control the temp during low and slo cooks?
    No, the gasket seals around them. Even some run with out gaskets and don't have any problem.
  • Buckdodger
    Buckdodger Posts: 957
    Options
    i've seen several pics with probe cables wrapped in aluminum foil. is that a good idea?? should get my 732 today and was interested in protecting the cable if it is necessary. 

Opelika, Alabama
  • xraypat23
    xraypat23 Posts: 421
    Options
    mavericks are good, i have the older ones, i think the 72's. they work fine. I also have the igrill  and that's kinda of fun too. timers graphs alarms
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Is the 732 worth upgrading my old 73?
    I have both (that's another discussion). They work exactly the same. I have not had luck keeping my probes working on the 73 but I just ordered more form the maverick websiste. I guess the 732 is supposed to work at higher temps (like 700 degrees) but i would never trust it to do anything more than low and slow. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    i've seen several pics with probe cables wrapped in aluminum foil. is that a good idea?? should get my 732 today and was interested in protecting the cable if it is necessary. 
    I've seen guys do it and swear by it. I don't and my probes don't last. I know other guys on here have had the 73 for years and don't wrap. I duuno. They should be fine if you use them at the temp they are designed for, right?
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • troutgeek
    troutgeek Posts: 458
    Options
    I've seen guys do it and swear by it. I don't and my probes don't last. I know other guys on here have had the 73 for years and don't wrap. I duuno. They should be fine if you use them at the temp they are designed for, right?

I always wrap them. It doesn't hurt anything and keeps the cables nice and clean.
    XL BGE - Large BGE - Small BGE - Traeger Lil' Tex Elite - Weber Smokey Joe
  • Buckdodger
    Buckdodger Posts: 957
    Options
    thanks guy's.

Opelika, Alabama
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    Wrapping in foil is a ery good idea.  I'm convinced it will add to the life of the probes. B-)
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • joe@bge
    joe@bge Posts: 394
    Options
    I am not convinced that the 732 is a reliable unit...my girlfirends dad has went through two units now and the food probe is throwing a code now that its bad.  I know I see it recommended on here A LOT, but I guess we just haven't had good luck with the Mav.  I personally use a Guru with no issues - but its a little overkill for just monitoring temps.