Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spare Ribs?

Options
greenmachine
greenmachine Posts: 11
edited March 2012 in Pork
There are so many ways to prepare and smoke spare ribs.  Seems like every where I look people have different plans.  Who's got the best way?

Comments

• paulheels
    paulheels Posts: 457
    Options
    Try a few different methods. Find the one you like to cook and you think tastes the best and use that one.

Paul
    thebearditspeaks.com. Go there. I write it.
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    edited March 2012
    Options
    Best is in the eye of the beholder.  I like simple and effective.  For me that is: 
    Remove membrane. 
    Add a little rub; I don't bother with mustard.
    Cook indirect for 5 hrs or so at 250 - 275 with no peeking, no liquid.  Just some foil to protect the stone/placesetter.
    Sauce last hour indirect at 300* - 325*

Changing to direct with the sauce would be ideal for blackening, but that means pulling out a hot stone/placesetter and BBQ sauce dripping in the Egg.  Clean up is easier this way.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    +1 Ragtop
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • greenmachine
    Options
    Thanks!  I'll give it a try today.  It is a total mess to try to switch to direct in mid-cook. 

Do you find your coals have enough gas to bump up to 325 after smoking for five hours?
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    Options
    Do you find your coals have enough gas to bump up to 325 after smoking for five hours?
    Absolutely.  I'll open the bottom vent fully then open the lid and start applying the sauce.  i'll set the daisy wheel holes to fully open and close down the lid which will allow the temps to climb, but won't let it get much above 350* if I walk away.  It does take 5 - 10 minutes to get up there depending upon where you're starting from.  If you are in a hurry and don't mind tending it, you can leave the bottom vent fully open and the daisy wheel off and it will come up a little quicker.  Just keep an eye on it when it starts to climb.  I'm guessing that even if it hit 400* by accident for a few minutes, its not the end of the world, but I'm not experimenting with my ribs.  ;)
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • thebtls
    thebtls Posts: 2,300
    Options
    Visit my blog, dedicated to my Big Green Egg Recipies at http://www.bigtsbge.blogspot.com You can also follow my posts on FaceBook under the name Keep On Eggin' or the link http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Keep-On-Eggin/198049930216241
  • XLentEGG
    XLentEGG Posts: 436
    Options
    Best is in the eye of the beholder.  I like simple and effective.  For me that is: 
    Remove membrane. 
    Add a little rub; I don't bother with mustard.
    Cook indirect for 5 hrs or so at 250 - 275 with no peeking, no liquid.  Just some foil to protect the stone/placesetter.
    Sauce last hour indirect at 300* - 325*

Changing to direct with the sauce would be ideal for blackening, but that means pulling out a hot stone/placesetter and BBQ sauce dripping in the Egg.  Clean up is easier this way.
    I stay indirect for the last hour during saucing. I just crank up the heat and sauce them. Makes a real nice glaze. Since I foil for an hour before glazing, all that I have to do is open the foil and get to saucing.
    More meat please !! :-)
  • greenmachine
    Options
    I did the ribs pretty much like you guys said.  Rather than messing with direct, I just cranked up the temp.  My brother in law gave me some wicked good charcoal and I bet the temp went from 200 to 350 in about five to ten minutes. 

The ribs were the best I've done, so thanks for your suggestions guys.  The sauce caramelized perfectly but there wasn't a half inch of carcinogen on the bottom of the ribs. 

I also did some beans.  I started with a big can of bush's beans and threw in some molasses, real maple syrup, an onion, and a few other random spices.  The day before I did the beans I had smoked some sausage thick cut bacon.  I also had some leftover pulled beef from a roast I had done on the egg, and I threw that in there too.  The beans were really good!
  • Hillbilly-Hightech
    Options
    @greenmachine - CONGRATS!!!  Sounded like a WINNER of a meal!!! 

BTW, I know I'm a tad late to the discussion, but the following link shows my results w/ St. Louis Style Spareribs:

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/comment/1159237#Comment_1159237

So next time maybe I'll try some of the variations I've read here!!
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee