Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

ceramic flaking off on inside of dome

bostonjoshbostonjosh Posts: 64
edited March 2012 in EggHead Forum

i fired up the bge for the first time this season (i'm a bad egghead... it's been since the fall...) and at some point, i noticed odd spots of flaking of the ceramic in 5-6 spots.  see photos.  the flakes themselves are very thin (penny-width).  The surface left behind where the flakes came off is very rough.  Any ideas?  I plan to email the mothership too.

·

Comments

• Mike8itMike8it Posts: 468
    Should be a warranty claim
    ·
  • GatoGato Posts: 766
    Hard to tell on my phone if it is ceramics or soot.
    Geaux Tigers!!!
    ·
  • FlyingTivoFlyingTivo Posts: 341
    How hot did you get it?
    I could only imagine that humidity got to it and you heated the egg too quickly.
    Its a good idea to warm up the egg slowly after a long time of not use.
    But then, i might be wrong!

Felipe
    Men, easier fed than understood!!
    ·
  • definitely more than soot.  unfortunately. 

I heated it slowly; 30 min, less than 300 before getting hotter.

·
  • tnbarbqtnbarbq Posts: 248
    Looks like moisture froze and caused the flaking.
    Scooter 
    Mid TN. Hangin' in the 'Boro. MIM Judge
    ·