Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

wok'in is too much fun

erickpanger
erickpanger Posts: 48
edited March 2012 in Vegetables
I've been having fun with the wok since I got the spider and picked up a wok in Chinatown along with some nice wok spatulas. So nice to be able to cook at high heat without smelling up the house. You can get the wok dam hot if left on the egg for too long. I found that out when I caught the peanut oil on fire when I went to add it. No biggy just close the lid and let it cool down.

Here is a shot of some Pork Tenderloin, veggies, and garlic

Comments

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    edited March 2012
    Looks good, Erick.  Your photo is interesting.  It looks like your wok covers the entire cooking area.  It seems to me that that would inhibit the air flow and not allow the temperature to get hot enough.  However, from your text, it does not appear so.

Curiously, what size Egg do you have, and what diameter is your wok?  I have a Large BGE and use a 16 inch wok. On my medium Egg, I use a 14" wok.

Edit update:  Aha !  I figured it out.  You put the legs up on your spider, and the wok sits lower on your Egg. I put the legs down.  Still, it seems the airflow would be restricted.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    I noticed that too VI. If it does get proper airflow I could not imagine how hot it would get down that low!
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • It is a large egg I think the wok is 16 inches though never measured it. I guess I'll try the other way (legs up). next time. Make more sense for better air flow. Funny my truck was parked in the driveway down wind. I noticed this morning when I went to work a grease film on the windshield. I guess that would be a first world problem.:)