Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What will fit on a mini

ob
ob Posts: 17
edited March 2012 in EggHead Forum
I am thinking about buying a mini but would really like to be able to cook a spatchcock chicken on it.  Has anyone tried cooking a spatchcock chicken on a mini. I have a large but I think a mini would be a great addition to the family.

Comments

• odie91
    odie91 Posts: 541
    search youtube.   there was a guy who did a chicken on it, with some minor tweaking of the setup.
  • SandBilly
    SandBilly Posts: 227
    That was Freds music and BBQ, I think it was a drunken chicken, looked like a pain in the azz!
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Spring Chicken put together a couple of video compilations of cooking on Minis: 

I don't recall if there are any spatchcock chickens on them but they should give you an idea of what will fit.

XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    edited March 2012
    Buy the mini....you wont regret the purchase. My favorite cooks on the mini are very thick cut ribeyes, veggies, chicken, potatoes, turkey wings....you get the picture :)
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    edited March 2012

Get the Mini. Here is a spatchcock chicken I did and also of 6 legs on another cook. I sold my Small and bought a second Mini.

imageimage
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• ob
    ob Posts: 17
    I see a mini in my future.  Thanks for the responses and the pictures Mickey.
  • Mickey
    edited March 2012
    @ OB: Be sure and order a Mini Woo from Tom or raise your grate for the spatchcock or legs.... First see if you have a 9.5" or 10" grate. For the Mini Woo you have to have a 10"
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817

Six burgers....so long as their sliders

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Mickey
    edited March 2012
    4 qt lb fit fine and a toyota iQ should fit (sorry, just cute and drove home to see how they work on the interstate).imageimage

• NightwingXP
    NightwingXP Posts: 448
    Mickey I have seen that you are a huge supporter of the Mini's. What do they generally run?
    Only 3 things in life matter. Family, Steelers and my BGE!!
  • Mickey
    edited March 2012
    I can tell you what we are selling them (we, not me, Keiths Ace Hardware) at the Salado EggFest is $399 with the stand. Seems in the area that most Fest's are charging, some do not include the stand and are lower. I have said this before. I sold my Small that I just did not use and bought a second Mini to go with a Large. The Mini get most of the load for just the two of us.

• NightwingXP
    NightwingXP Posts: 448
    Thanks Mickey! Will have to keep that in mind when I build my table this spring. Might have to make room for a mini.   
    :D
    Only 3 things in life matter. Family, Steelers and my BGE!!
  • odie91
    edited March 2012
    Mickey I have seen that you are a huge supporter of the Mini's. What do they generally run?
    My Ace Hardware sells them for $339, without stand. 
  • odie91
    @ OB: Be sure and order a Mini Woo from Tom or raise your grate for the spatchcock or legs.... First see if you have a 9.5" or 10" grate. For the Mini Woo you have to have a 10"
    Is the newer version the 9.5 or the 10?
  • Mickey
    @odie91. The newest is 10". But what is the newest from you distributor to your dealer to you? It may still be a 9.5" and have the old ring stand or not. You want the 10" and sometimes Egg Hq. will help you out on this with a call to send a 10". The 10" is a must if you want a Woo and the 10" is still good as it will not move around as much on the egg (bigger).

• boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273

Waiting till I win one of the Mini's for a door prize at Salado - then will have the answer...

Cookin in Texas
  • Mickey

Boatman you got 2 shots at them. You and your wifes (if she lets you use it).