Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Adding Charcoal for Long Cooks?

Options
MoOzarkEgg
MoOzarkEgg Posts: 4
edited February 2012 in Off Topic
I see some cook times of 20 to 22 hours.  I've had my egg for only 5 months now so excuse the "rookie" question, but how does one add charcoal for this long of a cook or does the BGE keep the temp for that long?

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    you don't.  if you wanted, you could go 40 hours without re-loading.  and you'll never need to go that long
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • MO_Eggin
    MO_Eggin Posts: 282
    Options
    Load the lump to the top of the fire ring for long low-slow cooks and you should be fine.
    LBGE - St. Louis, MO; MM & LBGE - around 8100' somewhere in the CO Front Range
  • boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273
    Options
    I run 22+ quite a bit, with no reload. I tend to light the fire and stabilize for an hour or more before a long cook. Sometimes a bit longer if the wind is gusting.
    Cookin in Texas
  • OLD NORTH STATE BBQ CO.
    Options

Find some Wicked Good Charcoal. Build a smart fire with the large pieces at the bottom and medium pieces on top.  I pretty much hand select my lump for long cooks.  And do what everybody else said.

wickedgoodcharcoal.com

"Where the weak grow strong and the strong grow great, Here's to "Down Home," the Old North State!"

Med & XL

• Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Options

wickedgoodcharcoal.com

+1
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • mustgrill
    mustgrill Posts: 141
    Options

I am still a rookie to the BGE but not to q? On my first (virgin) cook I did a 11 pound butt. I filled the fire box up to the max and then a few inches. I cooked that butt 17 hours and I still had enough lump for 3 or 4 more hours. Without a doubt you can get 20 hours at 225-250.

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /> 

Located in Western North Carolina
  • ribmaster
    ribmaster Posts: 209
    Options

I have yet to run out of lump on a cook. I saw a review that gave the BGE demerits for not having a door to add lump.

Fact is the ceramic mass and fire control allows the BGE to not need the addition of lump on most cooks.

I grill therefore I am.....not hungy.
  • Rocket15
    Rocket15 Posts: 42
    Options
    What about adding wood for smoking?
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    If you need more wood for smoking that you normally might place on top of the charcoal, place some down in the charcoal so that it will smoke later in the cook when the fire reaches it.  Still no need to disassemble everything mid cook.
    The Naked Whiz
  • boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273
    Options

Big difference I found with Egg, due to the control of airflow - not all the charcoal burns at the same time.   Areas of charcoal may be 12+ hours in when they start to burn.   Wood chunks distributed through out will start to smoke as the fire moves in the firebox, enabling continuous multihour smoke ( if thats what you want) without adding wood.    I have had two other smokers ( one vertical, one side box ) which worked just the opposite.   Whatever was in the firebox was burning.   So, if you wanted smoke 2 or 3 hours in - you had to keep putting wood in ( soaked wood to slow it down).   With the Egg load once, dont worry about soaking the wood chunks and it will work great.

Cookin in Texas
  • MoOzarkEgg
    Options
    Thanks folks for all the feedback.  Very beneficial.