Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smaller bits of used lump - when to use them up?

MikeG
MikeG Posts: 174
edited February 2012 in EggHead Forum

As a newbie I pull all the spent coal out of the firebox before loading up for each new cook.  The last cook was pork and beef ribs together (yum!) which left me with a quart or so of round, smallish bits say 1" in diameter. 

Do you chuck them? Reserve them for a certain type cook?   Friday I'm cooking 2 8lb pork butts plus 4 lbs boneless chuck beef rib roasts (lots of meat) and don't know whether to toss the small bits in or if it will increase chances I'll choke off the air holes in the FB.

Comments

• R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    I put them in for any cook usually in the middle or top layer and avoid getting little bits of lump in the holes in the sides of the firebox.  My Mini Egg also seems to love those little bits of lump.  

XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • I always throw them back in on top of the new lump
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    I just use my gridlifter and steer the lump to allow the ash to fall and dump in new lump on top. I do have a HighQue fire grate. Before the fire grate I did the same thing. You do want to watch the holes and be sure they are not plugged on the side of the firebox.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• I use them till they are a fine gray ash.
    Living the good life in MACDonna
  • I just ordered a Hi-Que from Amazon.  If Mickey has one, I've GOT to have one too.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• I just use them as above, but I have heard people use them for cold smoking with their DigiQ's.
    XL BGE - Large BGE - Small BGE - Traeger Lil' Tex Elite - Weber Smokey Joe
  • i stir up my old lump, and put new on top, or move the old lump to the side add the new and put the old on top of the new.  I have an XL, so it may be easier.

I dont trow away any lump that wont fit through the holes in the fire grate.

XL   Walled Lake, MI

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    I just ordered a Hi-Que from Amazon.  If Mickey has one, I've GOT to have one too.
    Maybe it will come with a keyboard and an Acer monitor like Mickey's mini Woo. :-\"
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    edited February 2012
    Maybe it will come with a keyboard and an Acer monitor like Mickey's mini Woo. :-\"

:))   :))

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,674
    i never remove lump unless im saveing some small pieces for a low temp jerky cook, the small used lump helps keep the temps down to 145 dome  where i want it. other than that, stir out the ash and add some new and keep cooking
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Mickey
    I just ordered a Hi-Que from Amazon.  If Mickey has one, I've GOT to have one too.
    Yes Gary but you have "TONG ENVY" and I don't.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• What is a Hi-Que?
    Located in Western North Carolina
  • Mickey
    What is a Hi-Que?

This

• Gato
    Gato Posts: 766
    @ Mickey

Are those just bricks around the edge cut into a wedge shape?
    Geaux Tigers!!!
  • Mickey

@ Gato. Those are GrateMates on a Small   GrateMates@sbcglobal.net

• Gato
    Oh hell, not another eggcessory. I'm not even going to look. Lol
    Geaux Tigers!!!
  • Mickey

Split Fire Bricks will work also or reg bricks and cover with HD alum foil.

• Split Fire Bricks will work also or reg bricks and cover with HD alum foil.

I've heard that a lot Mickey. Why the foil? 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Oh hell, not another eggcessory. I'm not even going to look. Lol

I feel ya Gato. True story- I just got a call from my bank asking me if I authorized transactions at the wok shop in San Fran today, Dizzy Pig in Virginia today, and an oriental grocery store in Columbia SC today. This egg is getting out of control.

Thanks Mickey. Just what I need to see is the inside of another one of your eggs with your eggsta eggsessories!!!
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Gato

I feel ya Gato. True story- I just got a call from my bank asking me if I authorized transactions at the wok shop in San Fran today, Dizzy Pig in Virginia today, and an oriental grocery store in Columbia SC today. This egg is getting out of control.

That is awesome and funny!
    Geaux Tigers!!!
  • What is a Hi-Que?
    Hi-Que Haiku

Nice Accessory
    No clog bottom fire pit grate
    Keeps lump hot long time

... sorry.

XL BGE - Large BGE - Small BGE - Traeger Lil' Tex Elite - Weber Smokey Joe
  • Bakeman
    Bakeman Posts: 113
    Dumb question Mickey? What are split fire bricks.
  • Mickey

Split Fire Bricks will work also or reg bricks and cover with HD alum foil.

I've heard that a lot Mickey. Why the foil? 
    Travis I would guess if not "fire bricks" but house bricks they could crack/come apart and the foil will hold them togather better and sure look better/cleaner. Please understand I am pulling this information out of my lower vent opening.....

• MikeG
    MikeG Posts: 174
    Well, as a KJ owner graciously allowed to hang out here and learn the ropes I wish Hi-Que made a 10" version that would fit my cooker.  I'd be all over it. 
  • Mickey
    edited February 2012
    Dumb question Mickey? What are split fire bricks.
    Fire bricks are what is in a fireplace. Split is because they are thick or long.

• Mickey
    Well, as a KJ owner graciously allowed to hang out here and learn the ropes I wish Hi-Que made a 10" version that would fit my cooker.  I'd be all over it. 
    Mike what size Egg do you have?

• Bakeman
    Where can I get them? I tried reg bricks and they keep falling in the fire box.
  • He has a kamado joe (KJ), Mickey.
  • Bakeman
    Who are you speaking of that has the KJ
  • Mickey
    MQ the Large size High Que is 9". Or the BGE sells the "NEW" Mini cooking grate at a full 10".