Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Advice on XL Stone

Options
JayHawkEye
JayHawkEye Posts: 196
edited February 2012 in EggHead Forum

Every time I see a pizza pic on here I get sick that I'm not making any! That being said, what size of stone seems to work the best for you XL owners? I am leaning towards the 17.5". Any input would be awesome. Thanks in advance!

"Take yourself lightly, but what you do seriously." - M. Martin XL BGE - Johnston, IA

Comments

• XLentEGG
    XLentEGG Posts: 436
    Options
    I have the full size XL 24" stone. If it broke today I would have a new( or repaired) one tomorrow. I can get three personal pizzas @ 8" each, or two 10-12's or one very big pizza on it. The extra realestate comes in very handy when you are cooking pizza for a family or group. I do make sure that once I reach stable cooking temp, that I let the stone heat for a good half hour. The stone goes in as soon as the fire is lit but no longer sooty. Stone fits very nice with p.s. legs down and stone on " Egg Feet"
    More meat please !! :-)
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    edited February 2012
    Options
    I have an XL EGG and went with the L stone.  It's just me and my wife so I never make more than one, nor a pizza bigger in size then the L stone.  Works great for me.  I go plate setter legs up, cooking grid, then pizza stone on top.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• Egts
    Egts Posts: 27
    edited February 2012
    Options
    I've got an XL with a large stone. However, I've not used the stone yet, but it should be plenty for my family of 3.
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    Options
    I have the 17.5" from CGS, but it is also used to sit down in grill in lieu of the platesetter.

Wow, the BGE XL stone is huge at 21".  I can see the value of that in making multiple small pizzas.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • smokinsooner
    Options
    I have the BGE XL stone, and agree... one giant pizza from pappa murphy's or a few small homemade ones... the extra room is worth it to us.
    BOOMER!
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Options
    I have the BGE XL and L stones.  The XL stone is huge and 3/4" thick but nice for multiple pizzas.  I'm sure it works great for really large pizzas (largest pizza I've made so far was 17") but I find handling a really big pizza without a really large peel a bit challenging. The L stone is 5/8" thick and works great in the XL for one pizza.

Since JayHawkEye mentioned pizza pics I thought I'd share some pics:

A 12" pizza (pesto chicken) looking pretty small on the XL BGE Stone:

A 12" pizza (pulled pork) on the L BGE stone on top of my Small Woo ring (cooked this morning for a work birthday potluck):

The CGS has some nice quality stones (also 5/8" thick) as well.  I cooked up a nice pizza on my brother-in-law's 13" CGS stone in his Large Egg.

I haven't compared heat up time for the two BGE stones but I'd suspect the XL stone likely takes a little longer to heat up with the extra mass.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • cortguitarman
    Options
    I have the XL stone. It is veat for multiple pizzas or large ones. The pizzas from Costco are huge but fit nicely on the XL stone. I also plan on using my egg to make cookies. I can fit lots of cookies on the XL stone.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • JayHawkEye
    Options
    Thanks for the input, everyone. Pizza is in my near future!
    "Take yourself lightly, but what you do seriously." - M. Martin XL BGE - Johnston, IA