Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pastrami

stevesails
stevesails Posts: 990
edited February 2012 in EggHead Forum

I used Third Eyes instructions for this. I bought this piece of Corned Beef last year after St Patricks day and has been frozen since then, I got tired of moving it around the freezer and had the time to thaw, soak, and cook it.

I will be doing this again,

A little too much pepper for me and the wife, and will adjust next time.

XL   Walled Lake, MI

Comments

• How long,and temp? Other than the pepper was it like you thought it would be? I have heard not to use corned beef, Instead do a brisket with your own spices.
    LET'S EAT
  • Logger
    Logger Posts: 309
    edited February 2012
    I soak my corned beef (I only buy the flat) for 3 full days in clear water and change the water at least twice a day.  Don't use the spice packet that comes with it for this.  Save it for something else. Then dry it with paper towels.  I then score it with a knife to show which way the grain runs.  (you won't be able to tell the grain direction after it's cooked)
    I then apply a salt free rub (Lantana of Texas) and add a very small amount of a buddy's homemade rub.
    Wrap in cling wrap, real tight and back into the fridge for an overnight spice orgy.
    I cook it at 225° - 240° dome, platesetter legs up, no water or drip pan, until it comes up to 195° in the largest part.  I do foil the platesetter to keep the juices off.
    Let cool on the counter and wrap it back up in cling wrap for an overnight chill.
    Slice it on a meat slicer "cross grain" to get a very thin slice and then vacuum pack into sandwich portions.
    The cooking process takes anywhere from 8 to 12 hours (depending on the size).
    I've had numerous compliments on this Pastrami but, it takes some effort (if you want to call it that).

OKC area  XL - Medium Eggs
  • I cooked it at 250 dome, (or tried to ) until internal temp read 165. the 3 pounds took a good 6 hours.  took it off, wrpped in alumninim foil, and towles and let rest for an hour then sliced.

Spices used were pepper, coriander, garlic, paprika, and thyme,

Here is the link.

http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/1996/05/beef-pastrami.html

XL   Walled Lake, MI

• Thanks for posting the recipe. Definitely something I've been wanting to do but was a little intimidated. Looks easy enough.

"Where the weak grow strong and the strong grow great, Here's to "Down Home," the Old North State!"

Med & XL