Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

1st Spatchcock Chicken

Options
TaylorCR
TaylorCR Posts: 34
edited February 2012 in EggHead Forum
Cooked my first spatchcock chicken on the egg last night.

Turned out nicely.  Great taste & flavor, super moist.  Skin was cripy but not as crispy as I thought or would have liked. 

Left uncovered in the fridge for 24 hours, rubbed down with John Henry - "Arkansas Kickin Chicken" & JH - AppleRub.  Tossed a few chunks of apple wood on for a little smoke flavor. Cooked @ 375 for only about 50 minutes.  I was surprised how quickly it cooked.  I figured it would take closer to 60-70 minutes.

I raised by grill with a couple of pavers...which was also a first.

Only thing I would do different would be let the bird sit uncovered for 36-48 hours - as Ive read this can help make the skin a little crispier. 

Here you go

I stole two Charolais heifers ...

Little Rock, Arkansas

Comments

• travisstrick
    Options
    Judging from the pics, I'd say it really happened. Looks good.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    24 hours is good. Did you put any oil on it?
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• TaylorCR
    Options
    no oil...

Little Rock, Arkansas

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    I put mine in the fridge for a max of 24 hours. Usually less because of lack of time. Then I rub down with good EVOO and my rub. Cook raised direct and the skin is crispy. This past time i even basted over the rub with a mild BBQ sauce the last 15 minutes and it was still crispy. Oil is the key I think... along with allowing the skin to dry in fridge.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    In looking at the picture I am higher than you in the dome. That may have something to do with it. I also sauce at the last 10/15 min's and still have good skin.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• TaylorCR
    Options
    In looking at the picture I am higher than you in the dome. That may have something to do with it. I also sauce at the last 10/15 min's and still have good skin.
    Yea my top grate was barely above the the gasket... how much higher is your setup ?

Little Rock, Arkansas