Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Aged Beef

Options
bge30plus
bge30plus Posts: 80
edited February 2012 in EggHead Forum

Brisket, <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

I have a full brisket I picked up today at my favorite Mom and Pop market, it's 18 pounds with the cap and flat it was removed from the steer about 6 weeks ago. I have rubbed it with 2 cups of course gray sea salt, 1 cup of fresh cracked tellicherry black pepper, 1 cup garlic powder, sticking it on the BGE at 20:00 hrs tonight and will low and slow, @ 225 till around 16:00 on Saturday. It should reach about 185 and then let it rest for the 25 guest who will be here for dinner tomorrow night at 19:00 hrs. It's on the counter coming to room temp as we type. Doc and Oink say Hello form MACDonna, GA.

Living the good life in MACDonna

Comments

• travisstrick
    Options
    18 lb'er on an XL or a LG?

I cant wait to see the pics of the finished product. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Havent done aged brisket. Know of a couple guys who have (in competitions), and they swear by it

Do you do anything differently than an unaged brisket?
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • GreenhawK
    Options
    Aged Brisket is interesting.  I haven't thought about it.  I think in competitions you would have to wet age it though.  In the KCBS they have a meat inspector come around and make sure that it is all in the original packaging to make sure that you haven't started prepping it early.

Something I may try when I get my new house and have room for an extra fridge.
    Large BGE Decatur, AL
  • mustgrill
    Options
    They make sure that the USDA has been there, who trust the USDA? Kinda like the US postal Service.
    Located in Western North Carolina
  • GreenhawK
    Options
    It's not the USDA.  It's just some guy that comes around and makes sure that you aren't cheating.  Theoretically if you have all of your meat in it's original packaging it can't be marinated or rubbed in advance.  
    Large BGE Decatur, AL