Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wood Or No Wood When Cooking Burgers?

Options
Cullum
Cullum Posts: 215
edited February 2012 in EggHead Forum
What's the preference for cooking burgers? Using wood or no wood? Is so, which wood do you like? Thanks for all your posts.

Comments

• Village Idiot
    Options
    Yeah, wood, although it's typically not on long enough to infiltrate that much (in my experience).  For burgers, I like mesquite or hickory.  Oak is OK too.  Texans like mesquite.  We should, we have plenty.

For pork, it's pecan all the way.

(Interesting trivia).  During the cattle drives from S. Texas to Kansas City in the old days, cattle would eat mesquite seeds, then poop them out about 20 mile up the trail.  To this day, infrared satellite pictures can detect all of the old cattle trails, such as the Goodnight, Loving, Chisolm, etc. from the line of mesquite trees that grow there.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Cullum
    Cullum Posts: 215
    Options
    That's interesting. Thanks for the post. 
  • travisstrick
    Options
    Gary, you made my day with that info.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    Options
    I'll toss in a couple chunks of wood. 
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • tnbarbq
    tnbarbq Posts: 248
    Options
    Sometimes I use wood.  Hickory or mesquite.  Adds a nice flavor.  I do it with steaks too.
    Scooter 
    Mid TN. Hangin' in the 'Boro. MIM Judge
  • boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273
    Options

I would think it depends on the personal preference.   Personally - I love the smoky flavor ( good smoke ).   Mrs Boatbum monitors the Cigars pretty close - so - only smoke I get in quantity is hickory.

I have over done the smoke occaisonally - it happens when your pushing the envelope.   I am not a wild mesquite fan.   Hickory is prob my fav.

Cookin in Texas
  • MaskedMarvel
    Options
    Loaded up my burgers today with Hickory.  Loaded.  Delicious.
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• NibbleMeThis
    Options
    I used to throw a little on there, but a bad experience with some really crappy mesquite lump turned me off of smoke on my burgers.
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This