Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

This is in responce to aged beef

Options
bge30plus
bge30plus Posts: 80
edited February 2012 in EggHead Forum

Apologies are necessary at this time. It was not my intension to behave in this manner to folks who have been on here for many years. I too have ways I like to do things and they have always proved true to me and I will not deviate. I am by trade an Electrical Engineer who has had it his way for many years. So I must re-evaluate my position on this forum. I have no right to criticize nor demine anyone with so much seniority. I have been a leader for so many years. So it just might be my way I need to choose the highway.  I have acted foolishly. I felt like I was back in the board room. Have a good night. My wife is so smart, it must be the reason she guided so many years. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Living the good life in MACDonna

Comments

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    edited February 2012
    Options
    Bill,

I have been kicked out of more forums than I can count, just by saying what I think.  The internet is unforgiving because you cannot hear voice inflections or see facial expressions when something is typed.  I think the people who have demonized me just didn't understand my intentions.

Do not apologize for stating what you think.  Some people in every forum will state their beliefs with great certainty and dare you to differ with them.  I've learned to respond to them with a smiley face.

We stand to learn a great deal from you.  Don't leave because of one encounter.

Thanks.  
    :)>-

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    I'm reading this before seeing anything else (havent read that thread yet since i replied)

I'll just offer that seniority means nothing, and you dont need to genuflect to anyone, let alone on the internet.

This place is about ideas and discussion. Not one-upping and trumping. I may be quick to reply, but dont ever take it as more than an open discussion.

The only thing i will do (purposefully) to a fault, is explain myself. Itnlets people know where i'm coming from, and invites being corrected. I dont take well to being told i'm wrong when there's no explanation given other than "because i said so" or "because someone told me", though. Because that doesnt help anyone learn anything

I'm headed to dinner. I'll check that thread in a bit. But i wouldnt worry.

To the extent i may have pissed you off (it's happened before), i'll simply say it wasnt the intent
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Hillbilly-Hightech
    Hillbilly-Hightech Posts: 966
    edited February 2012
    Options
    (copied from the other thread about aged beef, as this is a more appropriate place):

This is not meant to take one side or the other, but I will say this:

bge30plus - don't take this the wrong way, because if you are happy w/ your steaks, then more power to you.

But, just because someone pays a buttload for something, doesn't always mean it's any better. Could be that the person is getting taken advantage of. When I first moved to the Bay Area, I had to pay more for a 1 BR efficiency apartment than I was paying for a 2 story, 3 BR house w/ a 2 car garage & a front & back yard in State College, PA, where I moved from. I definitely wouldn't consider that apartment any "better" than the house!!

So, personally, I would NEVER pay $275 for a hunk of meat unless it came cooked by a Swedish model who then spoon fed it to me bite-by-bite. But that's just me.

Secondly, just because someone has made a good living off of doing something a "certain" way, doesn't mean it's the correct way, or the only way. The father & son on American Chopper make a "good living" putting fancy trinkets on motorcycles that are then un-rideable because they are impractical for street use, whereas someone like Jesse James actually hand fabricates 90% of the components on the motorcycle, and then rides said motorcycle 1000 miles afterward.

Also, you said you were an engineer - well then, I'm sure you've encountered folks who have done things "just because" that's how they were taught to do them, but in reality, their way wasn't necessarily the best, or most efficient way.

As I said, don't take this the wrong way, as I'm not bashing you or otherwise beating up on you, but I did want to make sure you could see that some of the points you were making could have valid counter points.

I think the cool thing is that there are so many different levels of "Eggs-perience" on this forum, and I try to take each person's advice & learn from it, then come up w/ a method that works for me (which often times includes borrowing a little bit of advice from 1 person, a little bit from another, etc) until I've adapted all the different advice into my own.

Heed the signature in my profile, for that sentiment is deep... and to piggyback that philosophy with yet ANOTHER quote from perhaps the greatest martial artist ever to live is this: Absorb what is useful, Discard what is useless, and Add what is uniquely your own.

Basically, learn what you can from all you can, and adapt it to suit your needs so that it works for you!!! :-)
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • Flamethrower
    Options
    bge30plus, Been a Fire Captain for alot of years. You take wht ya want from some people and toss the rest. Everybody has their own way of doin things. Take what ya want and try them out, Toss the rest. Cook how you want and what tastes good to you and yours. Have fun and talk $hit lke everyone else does.
    LET'S EAT
  • boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273
    Options

I have learned alot already from Stike - and greatly respect his opinions.

Thinking - there is a lot I could learn from bge30plus as well.

Most impressed that occurred with the full circle of everyone acknowledging that opinions sometimes take on a fervor - and yet - valueing this forum enough to say - hey - I might have typed a bit strongly.

Cookin in Texas
  • IrishDevl
    IrishDevl Posts: 1,390
    Options
    BGE - all good homeboy, shake it off.  Let it roll, and just look at Trav's avatar for a good laugh.  Stike is my homeboy. 
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    edited February 2012
    Options
    Stike is a hoser

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• IrishDevl
    IrishDevl Posts: 1,390
    Options
    He certainly is, a knowledgeable hoser, but a hoser nonetheless.  
  • Mighty_Quinn
    Options
    Ah...hoser. You Canadians and your slang! :-c
  • Flamethrower
    Options
    Take Off ya Hoser!!!!!
    LET'S EAT
  • Little Steven
    Options

Means doosh but we are so polite 

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Flamethrower
    Options

Really? Quote from movie,Appologies

LET'S EAT
  • Mighty_Quinn
    Options
    LS--lol..good one.
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Someday I will explain it. The scuttlebut is that it means the guys that flood ice rinks. Not. See you at a fest sometime and I will give you the real story(winking emoticon here)

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    edited February 2012
    Options
    bge30plus we all have our own unique ways of voicing our opinions, but in the end we all learn from one another. If you sign off this forum, then it is our loss as well as yours, but it is your decission.  Happy egging  
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • bge30plus
    Options

Hello all,

Me and the old farts were at the coffee shop this morning, I was telling them about the $hit fest yesterday on this forum? They had a few questions? Now let me bring you to my friends. Including myself there are 5 we have known each other from High School, we all graduated 1970,  one owns a Steak House, 2, breed beef Angus and Herford mostly steers and all fed on  sweet grass and grain no corn. Combined they feed 60 head on 75 acres.  1 is a large breed vet, Not last but included is a hog farmer. We call him oink! They all want to know how many of you have looked at the beef or pork you going to be cooking within the next five days???? Oh by the way Grinch, he owns the steakhouse he told me to tell Stike you have a some good points, but you're missing the target buying beef that has been processed in a plant somewhere in Nebraska or where ever, look your beef in the eye and say I want this from that steer? Yes it cost more but the USDA has never been involved with anything we eat or smoke or cook??? We pay more because we know who has spent the money to produce such great meat.  Hello from the Great State of Georgia.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

• boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273
    Options
    They breed steer's? Did I read that right? Calving rates must be pretty low.
    Cookin in Texas
  • Village Idiot
    Options

Combined they feed 60 head on 75 acres.

I raised cattle for the first half of my life.  If you raised 60 head on 75 acres, you had some damned good pasture.  Where were the mother cows?  Where was the hay meadow and the corn field?

They all want to know how many of you have looked at the beef or pork you going to be cooking within the next five days????

On the hoof or in the meat locker?

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    I never gave the guy grief for looking his steer in the eye or for how much it cost.
    I told him it needed to go through rigor. And it does

Should be hung for a couple weeks before anything is done to it
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • bge30plus
    Options
    Calfing is done on other farms, we pick the best of the young nutz, cut them at 3 months, Doc does his thing and the rest is just great beef. Damn corn fields and hay meadows, F&#$ I don't live in OZ? Stike, me and ole Doc have had a few, he says you sound like a Pathologist, rigor and all. If you remember I said we let the beef halves hang for 3 days. But you are just like most guys you don't listen nor can you read? HA HA HA
  • eggo
    eggo Posts: 492
    Options
    I never gave the guy grief for looking his steer in the eye or for how much it cost.
    I told him it needed to go through rigor. And it does

Should be hung for a couple weeks before anything is done to it
    Stike, do you mean hang til there is a little frog hair on it? That's the way I like it.
    Eggo in N. MS
  • GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    Options
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • bge30plus
    Options
    I realy think if I had enough of them with some white wine and shallots they would be real good.
  • bge30plus
    Options
    No way we creat steers, want to join the club, Doc can arrainge that?
  • waegger
    Options
    WELCOME TO THE INSANE ALSYLUM FOLKS. 8-}