Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Raised cook question

ChubbsChubbs Posts: 6,925
edited February 2012 in EggHead Forum
What would be the difference, if any, in cooking a brisket indirect in a V rack (raised) vs indirect raised on a BGE folding grill extender (raised)? I guess it lays flat on the grill extender as opposed to not on the V rack, but is there an advantage in one over the other? Grill extender higher in dome?

Doing spatchcock chicken this weekend on the raised grill extender with vegetables catching juices below like The Smoking Guitar Player (fredsmusicandbbq on YouTube). Pics to come!!

Thanks in advance for responses.
Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013

Comments

• I do my briskets on an upside down v rack. Just because it's easier to get on and off the grill. I find on low and slows the dome and grate temp do not vary by much at all.
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• ChubbsChubbs Posts: 6,925

MM, that is what I have noticed too, but I have heard the dome tends to be higher so that is why I asked. I figured I must have been doing something a little bit differently.

Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 16,474
    With indirect cooks-the dome will read anywhere from 20-40+*F higher than the grid when getting going due to the air circulation around the deflector.  The longer the dome is shut the closer the temperatures between grid and dome will come to equilibrium.  So over the long low&slows there isn't a whole lot of delta T between the two in my experiences.  So I guess my answer to the initial ? is nothing to be gained one over the other on indirects.
    Louisville;  L & S BGEs, PBC, Lang 36; Burnin' wood in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer.