Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s almost football season, so we’re perfecting our favorite tailgating and homegating recipes! Whether you like hamburgers, wings, brats, ribs or something cooked with beer, we have everything you’ll need for the perfect tailgate party. We always like inviting friends to join our tailgates because the EGG is about community and having fun, so make sure if you’re inviting company you make extra - the food will be gone before you know it! Don't forget dessert, either!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Spatchcock help

BakemanBakeman Posts: 113
edited February 2012 in EggHead Forum
What should the breast temp be on a spatchcock turkey

Comments

• GrannyX4GrannyX4 Posts: 1,465
    160 and 180 on the thigh.
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • BakemanBakeman Posts: 113
    Thanks Granny, I just did a spatchcock turkey and I had the temp wrong . I thought the breast was 180 and the thigh 160. I no better but to many Buds.
  • Bakeman,

You will find it easier to hit those temps if you put the legs toward the back of the egg

Steve 

Caledon, ON

Thanks little Steve, I am a rookie here. Still trying to learn.
  • The back of the egg is naturally hotter than the rest. It does work.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

Great, thanks alot!!! Every little bit of help goes a long way.
  • SteveWPBFLSteveWPBFL Posts: 1,284
    Why is the back of the Egg hotter? I think I agree based on looking in the top vent, butt not sure why.
  • IrishDevlIrishDevl Posts: 1,390
    You will have juicy dark meat (raw) and have to use plenty of that bud to get the breast meat down your throat
    I no iresh devl I just had a semi-senior moment. LOL. Turned 49 in January.
    Good stuff, I can't even begin to tell all the things I have done (wrong) with my egg.  I (and you) should continue to blame the booze. 
  • Why is the back of the Egg hotter? I think I agree based on looking in the top vent, butt not sure why.
    I think it's the airflow pattern but I try not to be too analytical (smiley)

Steve 

Caledon, ON

Hay IreshDevl what part NJ I am across the river in PA
    Just at the beginning of the Shore, Monmouth County
    where in PA?
    30 miles west of Philadelphia.