Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First time cook tonight - Spatchcock Chicken

Options
jbates67
jbates67 Posts: 168
edited February 2012 in EggHead Forum
Just got my Large BGE after years of jealousy (and tasting excellent food) of my friends/family. I'm in the process of building my own table from oak but can't wait to finish it before cooking, so I'll have to bend down to open the lid.

I have two whole chickens that I've removed the backbone from last night. They're sitting uncovered in the fridge until I get home and season, one with some BBQ dry rub, the other I'm going to experiment with a home made spice rub with an assortment of ingredients. I can't wait to try it out, I'm cooking direct on a raised rack at 350 until the yard bird comes to temp, going to roast some veggies under the bird as well. Hope to post some pictures later.

Comments

• Village Idiot
    Options
    If you don't post pictures, it was just your imagination.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• joe@bge
    joe@bge Posts: 394
    Options
    Sounds like a good plan Jbates!  I hopped on the Spatchwagon a few weeks ago and there is no turning back.  Best grilled chicken I have made in years.
  • John Ross
    Options
    Hey, I did the exact same cook last night. Spatchcock chicken on the raised grate, potatoes underneath it in the main grate @ about 350 for a bit over an hour. Came out fine! I just wish I could get the outside of the chicken a little crunchier. Thinking to sear the chicken on the lower grate
  • jbates67
    Options
    The chicken and veggies turned out fantastic. After a rough start, I started my coal then went inside to finish prepping, which took longer than I thought. When I came out to put the chicken on, the egg temperature was pegged. Needless to say, I got a late start trying to get the temp back down. After that, things went pretty smooth.

I prepped the chicken the night before and left in the fridge uncovered to help with crispy skin (a tip from this forum), unfortunately it was late when I remembered and after a poker night and a few adult beverages so one of the chickens got cut on the breast bone instead of the backbone (insert laughter and ridicule here), rookie mistake that won't happen again.

All in all I would call it a success even with the rough start. Wife and kids raved and asked if I was cooking on it again tonight. The birds were unbelievably moist and flavorful.

Lastly, I'm including a picture of a table I have been building out of red oak, since its not done, my BGE is sitting on the ground, I'm hoping the table is finished getting stained this weekend and the BGE will find it's way to the new home. The square opening is waiting for a nice piece of granite to inlay perfectly. It's a modified version of the table plans on the naked whiz site, the extra pieces sitting out of the end are getting a bar in between them as a handle (there are wheels on the opposite end) that will double as a tong and towel holder.

That's all for now.

Jeff
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Jeff, did you put anything in with veggies or just wait on juice from chicken? Did you put veggies in at the same time as chicken? Doing this setup this weekend. Thanks for the pics and the table looks great.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • jbates67
    Options
    I did put the veggies in at the same time, nothing added but some pam to the pan but honestly the juice from the chicken filled it out pretty fast. All I did was strained the veggies once it was all done. 
  • Flamethrower
    Options
    My Last Spatch **** Turned out great.Food for a week for the wife and I.
    LET'S EAT