Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s that time of year again-time to hop on out to your backyard for an EGG hunt. If you’re lucky, you’ll only have to search as far as your patio! Planning on cooking Easter Sunday? Check out our Easter Menu. If you’re looking for a sweet treat to enjoy with the whole family, try at least one of our sweet treats, if not both: Grilled Peeps & Carrot Cupcakes. Lastly, if you’re having company, our Pinterest page has lots of ideas for entertaining. We hope you have an EGGstra tasty holiday!

The Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new location and check out the museum! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

First butt

DeckchefDeckchef Posts: 40
edited February 2012 in EggHead Forum
Just looking for advice on my first pork butt . Main question was "will I have to add lump during my cook ? " butt is almost 6 pounds
·

Comments

• stikestike Posts: 15,597
    no
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
    ·
  • Hell no you won't
    ·
  • boatbumboatbum Posts: 1,273
    long as you clean out the vent holes, and fill your fire box full first - no need to add.
    Cookin in Texas
    ·
  • LyndeLynde Posts: 12

No - I cooked a butt for 16 hours and was surprised how much charcoal was left.  look into a blower and temperature controller like the DiGi DX2 at www.bbqguru.com - it makes long cooks easy and the food turns out great.

·
  • Ok - just picked up my butt , all they had left was a 11 lb. what kind of time am I looking at ??
    ·
  • @275, 1.5/lb. could be less could be 2 hr/ lb. that's your range tho
    thebearditspeaks.com. Go there. I write it.
    ·
  • Or you could cut it in half if you aren't confident about an overnighter yet

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • I did decide to cut it in half so now I have a 5.5 lb butt, been on for 13.5 hrs @ 250-275. For the last two hrs I've been bumping up the vents and the temp has been going down. Realized my ci grate holes were clogged with ash ???? Maybe if I had one of thoses high qui grates this wouldn't have happened ? Any thoughts ?
    ·
  • IrishDevlIrishDevl Posts: 1,390
    A 5.5 on for 13.5 should be completely cooked.  
    ·
  • It's gone to 180 from 170 in the last 30 mins since I cleared the grate holes and added a few lump. Maybe not much longer , running @ 350 now
    ·
  • IrishDevlIrishDevl Posts: 1,390
    I can't, for the life of me, understand why a 5.5 isn't ready yet.  I do understand that cut, cow, mabling etc... change how long it cooks, but I am stumped on this one.   
    ·
  • I don't care how long it took , that was the most unbelievable BBQ I've ever had!!!!!!
    ·
  • GatoGato Posts: 766
    Great, glad it turned out good for you. I did a five pounder that took 12.5 hours. I think a lot just depends on the meat.
    Geaux Tigers!!!
    ·
  • I had my drip pan filled with water and I just read that can make it go longer. Maybe on the next one I won't put anything in the drip pan.
    ·