Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Boston Butt...help with grill setup

TDogg46
TDogg46 Posts: 56
edited February 2012 in EggHead Forum
I've researched and plan on using mustard, adding the rub, and cooking the butt 225-275 until internal temp is 195-205.  If this isn't correct, please correct me or offer any tips.  I'm just not sure on the grill set up.  Platesetter  legs up or down?  How much charcoal?  Wood chips/flavors?  Drip pan?  Thanks guys.

Comments

• gte1
    gte1 Posts: 379
    Just did my first one the other day, turned out great. Temp sounds right for pit and meat. Legs up, drip pan, I used apple. If you can get space between drip an and plate setter it will keep grease from splattering and burning.
    George
  • Buckdodger
    Buckdodger Posts: 957
    edited February 2012
    If you don't have anything to put under your drip pan,,,scrunch up some aluminum foil into balls and place under your pan. Works for me.

I fill up above fire ring w/ charcoal, 250 dome on temp, legs up on plate setter....I pull at 195* wrap in HD Aluminum foil. Place in cooler wrapped in towels.

Bob
    Alex City Al

Opelika, Alabama
  • BakerMan
    BakerMan Posts: 159

Legs up with drip panin the middle.  I use 3-4 large canning lids between my platesetter and my drip pans.  Fill the charcoal to the top of the firebox.  You don't want to run out during the cook. 

Definitely 250 dome temp which translates into about 200-220 grate temp.  Be aware of "the stall".  You will see buut temperature rise pretty quickly the first couple of hours then plateau for several hours before rising to 195.  Allow about 1.5-2 hours/lb.

BakerMan - Purcellville, VA "When its smokin' its cookin', when its black its done"
  • boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273

Legs up with drip panin the middle.  I use 3-4 large canning lids between my platesetter and my drip pans.  Fill the charcoal to the top of the firebox.  You don't want to run out during the cook. 

Definitely 250 dome temp which translates into about 200-220 grate temp.  Be aware of "the stall".  You will see buut temperature rise pretty quickly the first couple of hours then plateau for several hours before rising to 195.  Allow about 1.5-2 hours/lb.

Canning lids are a good tip - thank you.
    Cookin in Texas