Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

reheating brisket sealed in a foodsaver

Options
captbunch18
captbunch18 Posts: 23
edited January 2012 in Forum List
did a quick google search and couldnt find the answer.

I made a brisket and have sealed the leftover in foodsaver bags. 

I know that to reheat you can boil the bag in a pot of water...how long do i boil it for?

any other suggestions on reheating?

Comments

• ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    Options
    I boil all my food saver stuff from frozen solid.  I put the frozen bag in the pot, cover it with water and crank up the heat.  Usually takes 30 minutes or so depending on what it is.  I don't really time it, if you let it go long it's not going to hurt anything.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• stilllaughing
    Options
    You shouldn't boil the water when reheating in a foodsaver bag. You can dry out food just as easily in a FS bag as on the grill. You want the water to be at a simmer. Otherwise you'll be drying out the outer part of the meat before the inside is warm. You basically want to "hot tub" the meat up to 120 degrees just like you would a steak. You can put a raw chicken breast in a FS bag and not only cook it but also completely dry it out in boiling water. The FS bag only retains moisture in the bag not the meat.
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    Options
    You shouldn't boil the water when reheating in a foodsaver bag. You can dry out food just as easily in a FS bag as on the grill. You want the water to be at a simmer. Otherwise you'll be drying out the outer part of the meat before the inside is warm. You basically want to "hot tub" the meat up to 120 degrees just like you would a steak. You can put a raw chicken breast in a FS bag and not only cook it but also completely dry it out in boiling water. The FS bag only retains moisture in the bag not the meat.
    Interesting and I guess that makes sense.  Done it a million times and never noticed anything dry.  Maybe I've been lucky and always pulled it out before it over re-cooked??
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• captbunch18
    Options
    thanks for the help.....