Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

reheating brisket sealed in a foodsaver

captbunch18captbunch18 Posts: 23
edited January 2012 in Forum List
did a quick google search and couldnt find the answer.

I made a brisket and have sealed the leftover in foodsaver bags. 

I know that to reheat you can boil the bag in a pot of water...how long do i boil it for?

any other suggestions on reheating?
·

Comments

• ChokeOnSmokeChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,758
    I boil all my food saver stuff from frozen solid.  I put the frozen bag in the pot, cover it with water and crank up the heat.  Usually takes 30 minutes or so depending on what it is.  I don't really time it, if you let it go long it's not going to hurt anything.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

·
  • You shouldn't boil the water when reheating in a foodsaver bag. You can dry out food just as easily in a FS bag as on the grill. You want the water to be at a simmer. Otherwise you'll be drying out the outer part of the meat before the inside is warm. You basically want to "hot tub" the meat up to 120 degrees just like you would a steak. You can put a raw chicken breast in a FS bag and not only cook it but also completely dry it out in boiling water. The FS bag only retains moisture in the bag not the meat.
    ·
  • ChokeOnSmokeChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,758
    You shouldn't boil the water when reheating in a foodsaver bag. You can dry out food just as easily in a FS bag as on the grill. You want the water to be at a simmer. Otherwise you'll be drying out the outer part of the meat before the inside is warm. You basically want to "hot tub" the meat up to 120 degrees just like you would a steak. You can put a raw chicken breast in a FS bag and not only cook it but also completely dry it out in boiling water. The FS bag only retains moisture in the bag not the meat.
    Interesting and I guess that makes sense.  Done it a million times and never noticed anything dry.  Maybe I've been lucky and always pulled it out before it over re-cooked??
    Packerland, Wisconsin

·
  • thanks for the help.....
    ·