Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Baby Backs - 2+21

MaskedMarvel
MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,141
edited January 2012 in EggHead Forum
Greetings friends,

Going to try my first ribs in a decade tomorrow; baby backs 2+21...  Here's the plan:

Dry rub and mustard or oil an hour before the cook.
250 dome indirect (hickory smoke)  with beer pan for 2 (+?) hours on the V-Rack.
Foiled indirect for 1 hr with beer or cider.
Indirect no foil for 1 hr with sauce.
Rest for 30+ minutes.

Since I haven't ever done these on a BGE, and the last time was a moderate success ten years ago on a Brinkman smoker, your advice and input would be appreciated.  Read somewhere I was shooting for ~172* doneness?

Thanks gang -
8-Damien

Large BGE and Medium BGE
36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

Comments

• AD18
    AD18 Posts: 209
    I'd go 3 hours on the initial smoke, 1 hour in foil.  Adjust remaining cook time dependant on how "done" the ribs are.  Could be done when they come out of foil dependant on size, thickness, and density of meat.  I'd drop the beer in the pan.  Never had much success getting flavour out of drip pan and why waste the beer.  I like 250 dome temp, but always use Maverich for 225-240 grate temp. 
    Large BGE, Weber 22.5 kettle, Weber Genesis
    Cobourg, Ontario
  • I'm doing my first St Louis spare ribs on my BGE this weekend.  Had my technique down on my WSM but this is uncharted territory! My plan is 3 hours smoke at 250 dome, 30 min braise in foil and then 40 min indirect out of foil - glaze every 10 min with a flip.  Sometimes I don't get the 40 min glaze time if ribs are getting too done.

Again, not an Egg technique, but it is the starting point I'm going to use.  Good luck to you!

• ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    edited February 2012

I'm doing my first St Louis spare ribs on my BGE this weekend.  Had my technique down on my WSM but this is uncharted territory! My plan is 3 hours smoke at 250 dome, 30 min braise in foil and then 40 min indirect out of foil - glaze every 10 min with a flip.  Sometimes I don't get the 40 min glaze time if ribs are getting too done.

Again, not an Egg technique, but it is the starting point I'm going to use.  Good luck to you!

If yours go anything like my St.Louis ribs went last weekend, you're going to need a lot longer than that.
    See thread here:

Packerland, Wisconsin

• As Choke said-(LONGER) I do a 5-0-1 on my St Louis and turns out perfect with an indirect with a pan of apple cider and water.Did 15 lbs. this last weekend like this
    LET'S EAT
  • As Choke said-(LONGER) I do a 5-0-1 on my St Louis and turns out perfect with an indirect with a pan of apple cider and water.Did 15 lbs. this last weekend like this
    Well - the verdict is in -

Guest says "best (she's) ever had."

I say(s) - "we can do better next time."

Fantastic, but I def think a longer cook was warranted.  Pics, if interested, but nothing out of the ordinary.  Used ZARDA on one rack and ZARDA Spicy on the other.  I could drink Zarda out of the bottle...
    Both delicious.

At 2.5-1-1 found them to be al-dente off the bone, but not quite there.  Will go another hour next time.

Much thanks for the input.
    8-D
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• Hello all.

I am new. What is 2-1-1? or 2.5-1-1 and so on?

Located in Western North Carolina
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    edited February 2012

Hello all.

I am new. What is 2-1-1? or 2.5-1-1 and so on?

It's the number of hours the ribs are either in foil or not in foil, in this order:
    "ribs NOT in foil" - "ribs IN foil" - "ribs NOT in foil"
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• thank you.
    Located in Western North Carolina