Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spatchcock chicken for the first time

Options
sooners3210
sooners3210 Posts: 2
edited January 2012 in EggHead Forum
Today I'm going to make spatchcock chicken for the first time and was just looking for some tips.

I have two 5 pound birds already prepared.  What temp should I set the BGE too?  How long should cook the birds?  Do I need to flip the birds at any point during the cooking process?  Any other tips would be appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Gato
    Gato Posts: 766
    Options
    Just did one last night. Cooked on a raised grid at around 400°. It was a fairly small chicken and took 48 minutes. This was the first time I have turned a spatchcocked chicken, and did it around the 30 minute mark. I did flip it back after a few minutes. Skin was good. Hard to tell on the time, it varies. Need the breast at around 165, thighs at 180 on an instant read thermo. I usually go to 170 on the breast though.
    Geaux Tigers!!!
  • mizeatl
    mizeatl Posts: 13
    Options
    I made one last night. I used the platesetter and did it indirect for around an hour at 375 - 400 degrees. It turned out very good and very moist.
  • smokinsooner
    Options
    Do you think the higher temp make the skin crisper? I usually smoke em longer and lower, at 250. The meat is moist. But the skin is rubbery.
    BOOMER!
  • Mighty_Quinn
    Mighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    Options
    Do you think the higher temp make the skin crisper? I usually smoke em longer and lower, at 250. The meat is moist. But the skin is rubbery.

Yes....long low and slow makes chicken skin rubbery. Go direct on a raised grid for poultry.
  • mizeatl
    mizeatl Posts: 13
    Options
    I have to disagree although mine wasn't low and slow, only an hour at about 375 indirect. I just did a five pound spatch last night on indirect and it was delicious and moist and the skin was crisp.
  • genwmull
    Options
    I did a 5 pounder today direct at 400 for an hour and the skin was rubbery.  OLD chicken?  It was moist and delicious.
    Large BGE Dyersburg TN
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    edited January 2012
    Options

If you have the time leave the bird in the fridge uncovered overnight. Do not oil it. I always do spatchcocked (chicken and turkey) 400 direct and high in the egg. I never turn over and always get good skin. I like 3.5 lb birds and 12 lb turkeys the best. For a large gathering just do two turkeys as they cook in about 1.5 hours anyway.

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• AUKevin
    AUKevin Posts: 10
    Options
    I did my first spatchcocked chicken yesterday. I let dry out in the fridge for 24 hours. Cooked it at 400 direct  and raised in the egg for about hour. The skin was crisp.
    the burg