Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

How long to cook a small brisket?

joe317joe317 Posts: 28
edited January 2012 in EggHead Forum
I have a 2.7 lb brisket I'm cooking today. It's from a local farmer; grass fed beef. I put the rub on last night so it's ready to go.

Anyway, how long do you think it will take to cook? I know this is a small brisket so I don't want to put it on too early, but I also don't want to wait until 10 pm tonight to eat it.

I plan on cooking it indirect at a dome temperature of 200 degrees F with a drip pan on the platesetter. Does this sound right?

What internal temperature should I cook to?

Any other advice?

Thanks.

Comments

• tnbarbqtnbarbq Posts: 248
    Glad you posted this. l also will be smoking a brisket that size.   I'm planning on 4-6 hours at 225. I've never done one this small.  Even if it takes closer to 4, no problem holding it for  while.  I plan on using a simple rub and hickory chunks.
    Scooter 
    Mid TN. Hangin' in the 'Boro. MIM Judge
  • GatoGato Posts: 766
    Never done one that small either, but one thing to consider is when cooking indirect and your dome temp is 200, your temp at the grate will be lower. If your final finish meat temp is around 195 to 200 degrees it may never reach it or will take forever. I would shoot for a 250 dome temp. Or I guess you could just raise the temp a little towards the end of the cook. Start checking it in the 195 range and cook until fork tender.
    Geaux Tigers!!!