Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

cooking in the cold

daveshannondaveshannon Posts: 4
edited January 2012 in EggHead Forum
i,m finally going to cook some butt tonight,but the temp is going down in the 20,s by mourning. any problems cooking in the cold?

Comments

• Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 28,742
    Yes, you need stronger drinks when it's cold

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• BotchBotch Posts: 5,532
    I noticed it was a bit harder to light my lump (its kept outside too), it took two paraffin squares.  Once it was going, however, no problem at all (and I've cooked in the 20's too)

Live fast, die young, and leave a well-marbled corpse.  

Ogden, Utard.  
  • Nope!
  • ChokeOnSmokeChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,890
    A good 4 months out of the year it's 20 and below here, I think it sucks but the egg doesn't care at all!
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• gdenbygdenby Posts: 5,593
    Nah. It may be a pain going out and lighting the Egg in the cold, under a dark sky. And it might take longer to get to temp. But otherwise, the difference is that maybe the bottom vent needs to be open 3/32th of an inch instead of 2/32ths. Check every 4 hours. The lump may burn straight down at 20 as well as at 80.
  • smokesniffersmokesniffer Posts: 2,016
    We just had a cold snap here, sub zero temps, and snow falling. The perfect time to test out the egg. It worked great, and it was fun to send BBQ smoke floating across the yard to the neighbour. I would have done this on my old retired gasser.  \:D/
    Large, small, and a mini