Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

platesetter

Options
daveshannon
daveshannon Posts: 4
edited January 2012 in EGGtoberfest
i,m attempting my first Boston butt this weekend. how should the placesetter be,leggs. up or down.should i wrapp in foil or not, and do i need a pan of water for smoking. any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• BakerMan
    BakerMan Posts: 159
    Options

Platesetter legs up.  Pace a drip pan between legs under rack.  Depending on whicj thread you read your drip pan options are:

• empty - drippings might produce burning smell
    • put a couple of inches of water
    • put a mixture of 50% apple cider and 50% apple cider vinegar
    • beer, wine or toher favorite liquid

I usually put disposable foil drip pan with a couple of inches of water in it.  Make sure your dome temp is at least 250.  A dome temp of 250 translates into a grate temp of ~ 220-225.  If you drop dome temp to 22o as suggested by others grate temp will be under 200 and you will never get butt to 195 (firsthand experience talking here).  Also with 220 dome temps you run the risk of fire going out overnight on long cooks.

HTH,

BakerMan - Purcellville, VA "When its smokin' its cookin', when its black its done"