Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Are you happy it’s finally National BBQ Month? While we like to BBQ year round, May is our favorite because the whole country is celebrating delicious food. If you’re new to cooking BBQ on your EGG, check out our Smoking Basics Publication...if not, proceed to some of our favorite recipes! We love Dr. BBQ’s Coffee Rubbed Brisket, Famous Dave’s Sticky Ribs and Virginia Willis’ Pulled Pork. Pair with this cheesy favorite for a winning way to start off May!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Question about Spatchcock Chicken

JayHawkEyeJayHawkEye Posts: 191
edited January 2012 in EggHead Forum
I'm going to be doing a spatchcock tonight and was hoping for some quick imput on timing. I will be cooking the chicken to temp (obviously), and will be doing it on a raised grid direct at 350-400. Does anyone have a rough estimate how long it should take? Are we talking 30(ish) minutes or an hour(ish). Just curious for timing of the side dishes. Thanks!
"Take yourself lightly, but what you do seriously." - M. Martin XL BGE - Johnston, IA
·

Comments

• stikestike Posts: 15,597
    45 to 60 minutes in my experience.  but you will want to set the chicken aside to rest anyway.

figure 60 minutes.  it won't go cold if you need to make it wait a bit to time some veggies or something
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
    ·
  • joe@bgejoe@bge Posts: 394
    The one I did last night was in the 45-60 min range closer to the 60 min mark.

·
  • Plan on an hour.  Could deviate 15 minutes either way.
    ·
  • jaydub58jaydub58 Posts: 1,469
    As Stike says, 45-60 minutes at your temp range, then rest for 10-15 minutes. 
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
    ·
  • hogaholichogaholic Posts: 225
    About an hour in my experience, depending on the size of the bird.

165 for the breast and 180 for thigh.  They should be ready at the same time
    Jackson, Tennessee. VFL (Vol for Life)
    ·
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 16,168
    Just this side of an hour  depending of if you are closer to 350 or to 400.
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

·
  • Mighty_QuinnMighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    Yeah, I love these threads that go 10+ posts and everyone is saying the same thing. I think the OP got it.
    ·
  • stikestike Posts: 15,597
    and we got tweev's point before you repeated it.  how many people does it take to make the point that repeating a point is uneccessary?
    ;;)
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
    ·
  • Thanks to everyone for input(s). I appreciate the help.
    "Take yourself lightly, but what you do seriously." - M. Martin XL BGE - Johnston, IA
    ·