Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Gasket

Charlie2
Charlie2 Posts: 1
edited January 2012 in Root
Have only cooked on my egg eight times and most of my gasket has disintegrated.  Has anyone else had this issue?  Did I get a defective gasket?  Love the way it cooks but just got the egg for Christmas.  Followed the instructions for firing the egg before I actually used it.

Comments

• My gasket burned off first tine I lit the egg. I started fire went in for a couple mins came ou was at bout 850 raised lid gasket fell off and burn up. I have a new piece of stove gasket I'm gonna use but till then it works just fine without one. I slow cooked ribs for 6 hrs or a pizza. Don't guess I have to worry bout meaning up the gasket. Stove gasket is rutlan gasket I'm only going to put it on 1 side.
  • Charlie,  you have a couple of options for getting a better gasket.  You might start here: Gasket Information  BGE has a Nomex gasket (also some other vendors carry nomex gaskets too) and they might send you one for free since your original gasket performed so poorly.  Then you have the option of using Rutland fiberglass gasket, Cotronics ceramic gasket, or forming a gasket out of Permatex Ultra gasket making material.  Good luck!
    The Naked Whiz
  • Charlie,  you have a couple of options for getting a better gasket.  You might start here: Gasket Information  BGE has a Nomex gasket (also some other vendors carry nomex gaskets too) and they might send you one for free since your original gasket performed so poorly.  Then you have the option of using Rutland fiberglass gasket, Cotronics ceramic gasket, or forming a gasket out of Permatex Ultra gasket making material.  Good luck!
    Do you have any thoughts about using a fiberglass gasket around food?  Has anyone reported any problems with fibers in food?