Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We’re feeling pretty super, how about you? The big game is fast approaching, and while we love football, we love an excuse to invite people over and cook even more! You too can cook like a champion with recipes from Dr. BBQ’s NFL Gameday Cookbook: Grilled Tuna Sandwiches from Seattle and Baked Brie from New England. Who’s going to win? You’ll have to cook both to find out.

The 17th Annual EGGtoberfest was amazing - here are the highlights Click Here

Mushy pork shoulder

fruitguyfruitguy Posts: 121
edited January 2012 in EggHead Forum
Not sure what happened. Smoked a 7.98lb shoulder to temp using a thermapen, checking in multiple spots. Texture was more like retried beans verse pulled pork. Any thoughts? Cooked to 195. Held in a cooler for 3 hours before I pulled it. Was wrapped in foil and a towel.
·

Comments

• stikestike Posts: 15,597
    Brined? Solution added? Frozen multiple times?
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
    ·
  • ribnrunribnrun Posts: 174
    That is no good! I had a slightly mushy half picnic a few weeks ago that my father in law brought over, turned out it had "flavor enhancers" added. It was not refried beans though.
    ·
  • stikestike Posts: 15,597
    Solution added (sodium phosphate?) is utter crap.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
    ·
  • Sounds like what happened to me once. I couldn't get a shoulder from where I normally do, and I'm pretty sure the one I got must have been frozen.
    ·
  • fruitguyfruitguy Posts: 121
    Bought it from BJ's the night before I cooked it. Not sure if it was injected with anything. Next time I will read the label. I did not brine it. Slathered with mustard, added some rub. Wrapped it put it back in the frig for a few hours. Then set it on the counter for about an hour while getting the egg ready.
    ·
  • Sounds like you covered all the bases. Looks like you may have just got a bad one.
    ·
  • yumdingeryumdinger Posts: 183
    Glad to hear there are reasons for mushy pork...I had one of these a month ago and it kind of soured my family on doing shoulders.  Got it from Costco, did not read the label but it was Mushy big time.  I will have to read the label from now on.
    Thanks
    ·