Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Newish-bie Question on Temperature (bone-in turkey breast and others)

Options
Frankiesez
Frankiesez Posts: 21
edited January 2012 in EggHead Forum
Okay  so I've done about 15 cooks on my egg, most with success, but have had a few problems with fire control.  My brother is a maniac egger and always says to not overshoot your target temp.  Here is my question though: when trying to sear something then slow cook, how can you not do this?  Also, isn't it better to get the fire raging then scale it back in general?  Just to ensure you have a good amount of coals hot?

I am doing a single bone-in turkey breast today after my overnight fire went out on my 10lb pork butt <weep>.  I'd like to crisp up the skin prior to adding my wood chips and lowly slowly-ing it.  

Any thoughts or good threads I am missing on temperature practices?

Comments

• Mighty_Quinn
    Mighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    Options
    Low and slow usually makes poultry skin rubbery, even with a pre sear. I would cook it around 375 direct on a raised grid adding a few few chips or a small chunk to the fire and have had no problem with crispy skin and juicy, smokey meat. If you insist on low and slow, I would cook it that way first, pull it for a few minutes....open your vents to jack the temp up and then sear skin.