Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New BGE Owner. Need wireless Thermometer Recommendation.

Options
dusherwood
dusherwood Posts: 2
edited January 2012 in EggHead Forum
I've had my BGE a week and used it five times. I LOVE It. Thing is, I think I need a digital wireless thermometer for slow cooks. I ordered a Mav 732 and within 10 minutes I cancelled it on amazon because I read 20 more reviews about the probe wires being really bad. I've looked all over here and the web and just about every one has complaints about all of them. I don't want to spend $300 on BGE super temp/fan thing but am prepared to spend $100 at least to tell what grill and meat temp are from the couch or bed. Any ideas?

Comments

• TullyMN
    TullyMN Posts: 10
    Options
    I use the mav 732 and have been extremely happy. Out of curiosity, I went to Amazon to read the bad reviews. Sounds like they need to work with the company if thet got a bad product. To blast someone before you've given them an opportunity to correct the issue isn't right in my book. Plus I always take a few bad reviews with a grain of salt as some people just like to complain and I'm always counting on a few of the negative reviews to be from competitors. If you want my opinion, I'd buy it again if it ever failed. I also use the meat probe as a guide and validate the temp with a thermapen before calling anything done.
  • Gato
    Gato Posts: 766
    Options
    I have a new 732 and love it. Haven't had it long enough to comment on the probe wires, but I will say I had an early model redi check, which I think is the same manufacturer and had no issues with the wires. The 732 has much better range and I love the dual probes.
    Geaux Tigers!!!
  • boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273
    Options
    I just ordered a maverick 732. Did quite a bit of research in BBQ forums, considered comments in those forums with more credence than the amazon reviews.
    Cookin in Texas
  • bluegrasstiger
    Options
    +1 maverick 732
  • Gravytrain84
    Options
    Just ordered the mav myself.
  • bluegrasstiger
    Options
    Next you'll need a Thermapen for instant meat temperatures when you're not using the Maverick...once you start with accessories, you can't stop.
  • reh111
    reh111 Posts: 196
    Options
    I bought the Oregon Scientific a few weeks ago - have used it several times and really like it - and you can't beat the price:

• dusherwood
    Options
    Thanks for everyone's input. The sales guy at one of the local BGE dealers told me the Mav 732 is the one to get. He doesn't even sell that one and said the BGE brand is the Mav 732 also just with the BGE logo. I'm gonna get it local tomorrow. Thanks again. The wild hog butt I made last night/this morning sans wireless thermometer on a 12hr cook came out perfect. Kept the temp between 230-270 the whole time and only opened the lid at the end to get the meat read with the thermapen. I love the BGE.
  • howmeisterg
    Options

Go with the Mav 732. I will say that I did have problems with mine - two times - but Maverick was awesome to deal with and stood behind their product. No isses with the probes, but has two bad units. Finally got a good set and and have been workings for about a year since.

One tip - wrap your probe wires with aluminum foil from the point where the wire enters the rigid probe body, to the point where the wire exits the egg. This is to shied the probe wire from the heat and provide a cheap insurance policy in case you happen to forget and open the the lid long enough for a flame to come close to it.