Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We’re so close to Thanksgiving that we can taste it and we’re ready to help you prepare the most delicious Thanksgiving feast you’ve ever cooked! Check out our Turkey Cheat Sheet for turkey tips, our Thanksgiving page for turkey recipes, and our Holiday Entertaining Publication for all other Thanksgiving needs to help you make this the best Thanksgiving yet! PS. Don’t forget about breakfast Thanksgiving morning either!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

easiest way to change gasket?

Gravytrain84Gravytrain84 Posts: 57
edited January 2012 in EggHead Forum
What's the best way to take the fried gasket on? Do I have to take my lid off to apply new gasket?

• MickeyMickey Posts: 16,654

Easiest way is not to change it ever. Have 3 non-gasket eggs and doing fine for years.

Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

• No air leaks?
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 16,654
    edited January 2012
    No Sir. They will do low and slow and when I cap and slide the vent they go right to sleep. I like to keep my lump. I would guess we are 50/50 on gaskets, can't be over 60/40.
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

• ChokeOnSmokeChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,810
    edited January 2012
    No harm in trying what Mickey suggests and go gasketless.   If it works for you, great.

But I'm on the other side of the fence.  I like a gasket on there to avoid banging my lid against my base.  Also saves more lump for your next cook if you don't have a good match between your lid and base - because it extinguishes the lump faster after cooking.

For under $20 and an hour or so of your time, you can put a Rutland gasket on there and be set for life (or a really long time, anyway).
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• Choke, do you usually take the lid off to do it and what do you use to take the burnt gasket off?
  • ChokeOnSmokeChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,810
    edited January 2012
    Choke, do you usually take the lid off to do it and what do you use to take the burnt gasket off?
    I did take my lid off.  Taking the lid off an XL is super easy (one bolt
    and lift the lid off).  I heard it's harder with a Large.
    I did a detailed step-by-step procedure with photos here:
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• BakerManBakerMan Posts: 154

I burned two factory gaskets off doing high-heat pizza cooks.  I replaced mine with a Rutland Woodstove gasket and I am very happy with the results.  I do a pizza cook once a week @ 650 with no issues.  It took me about an hour to clean old gasket with acetone and a scotch brite pad (by hand) and install new gasket.

More info is provided below:

Gasket Repair
    This guy has three videos that do a good job of showing how to disassemble Egg, clean off old gasket and reinstall and adjust Egg.

Nomex Gasket Replacement

Rutland Gasket Install (this is what I did)

BakerMan - Purcellville, VA "When its smokin' its cookin', when its black its done"
  • TrollaltdeleteTrollaltdelete Posts: 12
    edited January 2012
    I burned one off and replaced it with a nomex one ordered from amazon. It has adhesive on it already, just had to remove some paper. I read about cleaning it and scotchbrit and acetone, but I just heated the old one with a torch then scraped it off while it was hot. Took about 10 minutes, the. I put the new one on right on top, works fine and I did not make a big deal about it. Never even took apart the egg.
  • biznorkbiznork Posts: 112
    Why doesn't the egg come with a better gasket? I really want to try cooking a pizza but don't want to deal with the aftermath.