Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s almost football season, so we’re perfecting our favorite tailgating and homegating recipes! Whether you like hamburgers, wings, brats, ribs or something cooked with beer, we have everything you’ll need for the perfect tailgate party. We always like inviting friends to join our tailgates because the EGG is about community and having fun, so make sure if you’re inviting company you make extra - the food will be gone before you know it! Don't forget dessert, either!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

cleaning daisy wheel

Gravytrain84Gravytrain84 Posts: 57
edited January 2012 in EggHead Forum
Is there any trick or secret to get the grease and gunk off of this thing? I have to tap it with a hammer to get it loosened up now.

Comments

• CrimsongatorCrimsongator Posts: 5,766
    When you get done with a cook, throw it on the egg for about 30 minutes and let it cook off.
  • stikestike Posts: 15,597
    After each cook, store the daisy in the egg. It will render excess fat but retain enough to be seasoned
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • CrimsongatorCrimsongator Posts: 5,766
    I wonder if that will work for me?
  • bigearlbigearl Posts: 25
    I dipped mine in vegetable oil and threw it in directly on the fire for about 30 minutes after it got pretty old/ rusty/ stuck.  The fire cooked all the gunk off and when It was done, I coated it in oil again and put it inside the egg and sealed it up.  Its like a brand new daisy wheel now.
    huh?
  • Thanks for the info fellas. I'm gonna give it a try today.
  • I always store mine on the grate inside the egg.  One time I couldn't move the daisy wheel with even a hammer & a screw diver.  At that point, I had to spray oven cleaner on it, let it set and spray it off.  It did work and get a lot of the gunk off of it.  I've only had to do that once.
  • GriffinGriffin Posts: 7,076
    I wonder if that will work for me?
    I don't know if we could cram you into an Egg....maybe that giant Eggzilla one they display. =))

Richardson, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Had the same problem. After cooking I place the Daisy wheel in the open postion and onto the grill,And put the ceramic top in place.
    LET'S EAT
  • I knew I'd find a better reason to have that ceramic top... I kept wearing it as a hat while grillin'
  • Thanks guys. I threw the Daisy wheel on the grill for about an hour and all grease and been charred off. took a wire brush to it and she looks brand new again.