Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help With Pork Butt

Options
uncledave
uncledave Posts: 90
edited December 2011 in EggHead Forum
I am doing a pork butt for the football games on Monday. Do I brine a pork butt or just season it and go low and slow?

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,348
    Options

Very few brine a butt-just use a good rub and if smoking at 250*F (calibrated on the dome) plan on 2 hrs/# til around 195-205*F (when the bone easily pulls out) then give yourself at least an hour (more if you can stand it-can hold in a cooler for at least 4 hours...) with it wrapped in HDAF and a couple of towels in a cooler to rest.  Then pull and serve-

FYI-BGE rule of thumb-you can never load too much lump...I have a LBGE and for long low&slows (20 hours +/-) I load lump about half way up the fire ring.  Plenty of lump left over after the cook.  Butt is very forgivning-enjoy the journey.

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.