Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We’re so close to Thanksgiving that we can taste it and we’re ready to help you prepare the most delicious Thanksgiving feast you’ve ever cooked! Check out our Turkey Cheat Sheet for turkey tips, our Thanksgiving page for turkey recipes, and our Holiday Entertaining Publication for all other Thanksgiving needs to help you make this the best Thanksgiving yet! PS. Don’t forget about breakfast Thanksgiving morning either!

If you missed the 17th Annual EGGtoberfest here are the highlights Click Here

Boneless Butts

JLNCJLNC Posts: 73
edited December 2011 in EggHead Forum
Howdy--- I have been signed up to cook 4 boneless butts (about 6 lbs each) to be done at 12 tomorrow. I have lots of experience with bone-in and my average cook time is around 18 hours (at ~225) to get to 195.  I have a large egg and will either try to get them on one level or use the Woo3 Extender for two levels.

My questions are:  Should I tie tie them up (to make them more butt-like?  How much of a time adjustment should I make for the boneless factor?  I would typically get things going at 9 or 10 at night to have them ready late afternoon the next day.  At 18 hours that would mean putting them on at 6PM, but if I shaved a few hours off, I could still put them on at 9 tonight.  My phobia is always not having things done in time. 

Advice?

Comments

• JLNCJLNC Posts: 73
    Ok, so thought I might add that I have now rubbed them and trussed them.  Given the fact that they now have the same basic shape as bone-in butts, I'm planning to smoke for 18 hours to have them done at 12 tomorrow.  I'm guessing they will still cook a little faster, but with the near 30 pounds of meat going on there, I think I'll be fine.  Again, any opinions or input would be welcome.  Otherwise, it's business as usual!
  • lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 5,339
    Whenever I end up with the boneless butts I have always treated them the same as the bone-in variety with consistent results-sounds like a great plan and should any of them finish much earlier than the others (every hunk of meat behaves differently) you will have the wrap and pack (HDAF and towels in a cooler) as the equalizer.  Will be great eats...
    Louisville
  • Sounds yummy! What time should ii arrive?
  • IrishDevlIrishDevl Posts: 1,390
    I might be late, but I when I put boneless butts on from Costco (typically one at a time) I would start around midnight and they would be done around 2PM (or so) the next day.  Not sure about how to think of 4 butts, but this is how I did one (about 7-8 lbs).