Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bigguy's First Overnight Boston Butt

Options
bigguy136
bigguy136 Posts: 1,362
edited December 2011 in Pork

I did the mustard coat and dry rub with Willingham's Original (all I have for now) and it sat covered for 10 hours. I got my fire going with Royal Oak, cherry chunks at the bottom and hickory on top of the lump. I put on the large BGE with plate setter legs up, drip pan with 4 cups cider vinegar and 4 cups apple juice. I'm one hour into the cook. I'm using the Stokers with two meat probes. Everything is going perfect... so far.imageimage

Big Lake, Minnesota

2X Large BGE, 1 Mini Max, Stokers, Adjustable Rig

Comments

• bluegrasstiger
    Options
    Looking good.  The Stoker is awesome!  Be sure to keep plenty of liquid in the drip pan as you go so that the drippings don't burn.  The smoke gets nasty as it burns...If you can keep liquid in it, strain it after cooking and add a little back tot he pulled pork...adds a little additional moisture.
  • bigguy136
    Options

Thanks. About how long should a half gallon of liquid last?

Big Lake, Minnesota

• bigguy136
    edited December 2011
    Options

I'm 1.5 hours into it and misted with apple juice and meat temp is 100°. I also forgot, I'm using a 7 LB butt

Big Lake, Minnesota

• bigguy136
    Options

2.5 hours. Meat is at 118°. Pit temp is 225°

Going to bed. Stokers controller has it under control.image

Big Lake, Minnesota

• fyrpit
    fyrpit Posts: 24
    Options
    Looking good Kevin!
    Todd www.smokinfyrpit.com https://www.facebook.com/SmokinFyrPit pitmaster@smokinfyrpit.com Dragon Breath Lump Charcoal Dealer XL Big Green Egg & Large Big Green Egg Rebel 23' Smoker DigiQ DXII & Cyber Que WIFI KCBS Member & CBJ
  • bigguy136
    Options

I'm at 7.5 hours. Meat is 145° and pit is 225°. Third spritz of apple juice.image

Big Lake, Minnesota

• bigguy136
    Options
    Looking good Kevin!

Thanks! You've been a big help.

Big Lake, Minnesota

• tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    Maybe I'm old school but once the butts go in the egg, lid stays closed for at least 7 hours.  Then open just for a quick look, more curious than anything.  I find keeping the lid closed helps develop a nice bark.  Injecting the butt with apple mixture might be better than putting it in a pan.   Couple ideas for maybe your next butt cook, then can see which method you like better.   t

www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • bluegrasstiger
    Options
    still looks great.  Agree with keeping the lid closed as much as possible...cuts down on temp fluctuations too. 

One reason I use apple juice in the pan is to that I don't have to open the egg.  I think the general rationale is the same.  I tried injecting last cook but didn't notice any difference.  Have you noticed a difference when injecting?
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    I find injecting has a fine line, to much and it can take away from the pork flavor and get a little "hammy" tasting.
    Plus, it's hard to find a reasonably priced injector that doesn't break after a couple uses or spray the cabinets because I didn't push the needle far enough........LOL.   So, I don't inject much anymore........t  
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • bigguy136
    Options

I'm at 11.5 hours. Meat is 144° and pit is 225°. I did another spray of apple juice.image

Big Lake, Minnesota

• Squeezy
    Squeezy Posts: 1,102
    Options
    I find injecting has a fine line, to much and it can take away from the pork flavor and get a little "hammy" tasting.
    Plus, it's hard to find a reasonably priced injector that doesn't break after a couple uses or spray the cabinets because I didn't push the needle far enough........LOL.   So, I don't inject much anymore........t  
    I bought a good SS unit at Gander Mountain ... yes a bit pricey, but worth it!
    Never eat anything passed through a window unless you're a seagull ... BGE Lg.
  • bigguy136
    Options

And here is the finish. I bumped the grate temp to 265° 16 hours into it as it wansn't going to finish on time. It went 20 hrs total.

Big Lake, Minnesota

• bigguy136
    Options

I filled the firebox full with Royal Oak. I had it burning for 22 hours. This is what was left.

Big Lake, Minnesota

• Squeezy
    Squeezy Posts: 1,102
    Options
    Beautiful !!!
    Never eat anything passed through a window unless you're a seagull ... BGE Lg.
  • bluegrasstiger
    Options
    Now you'll have to do one for the family every weekend..
  • Kentucky Wildcat Fan
    Options
    Bluegrasstiger - Nice looking butt and lump to spare.  I do keep the lid closed for as long as I can but there is always someone wanting to take a peak.   
    Large & MiniMax in Lexington, KY