Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Meat Probes Question

Options
bamafan62
bamafan62 Posts: 137
edited December 2011 in EggHead Forum
Hi All, 

I purchased a Thermoworks temp. probe.  The wires on the probes are much larger in diameter than I expected.  I am using them as we speak.  I noticed smoke "leaking" from the lid and the base of the grill.  Do you think this is a serious problem?  I have a sinking feeling that I may have messed up.  Thanks in advance!

Phil

Comments

• GreenhawK
    Options
    You should be fine if you are maintaining heat. A little bit of a leak shouldn't hurt you much at all.  There are several people on the forum that don't run gaskets at all.

Roll Tide
    Large BGE Decatur, AL
  • 2CanQ
    2CanQ Posts: 14
    Options
    You will be fine as time goes by the gaskets leak a little more than when new anyway, even with out having the probe cords.  I have run both my L & XL without gaskets before with the cords from my BBQ Guru and worked just fine.
  • bamafan62
    Options
    Thanks a million!  I was dreading telling my wife that I made a bad purchase and I needed to go to plan "B"!  I am pretty sure she is had enough of my plans since my BGE purchase.  Thanks again.

Phil

• 2CanQ
    2CanQ Posts: 14
    Options
    Have fun cooking on the Egg, my wife was the same way when we got our first one.  We are up to three now 1 L and 2 XL's.  Now she is the one wanting to try to cook different things and telling all her friends.  She has talked a lot of people into purchasing Eggs now.  Hope your wife will enjoy it as much as you will if so hang on it might get expensive. 
  • bluegrasstiger
    Options
    Hi All, 

I purchased a Thermoworks temp. probe.  The wires on the probes are much larger in diameter than I expected.  I am using them as we speak.  I noticed smoke "leaking" from the lid and the base of the grill.  Do you think this is a serious problem?  I have a sinking feeling that I may have messed up.  Thanks in advance!

Phil
    You're fine...keep cooking.

Roll Tide versus LSU....from a War Eagle...we need to keep the BCS in state again.
  • davestewart
    Options
    War Eagle! but I asked Santa for a Tiger win.