Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Pork Butt overnight

Options
ja19412
ja19412 Posts: 20
edited December 2011 in Pork
I have read a lt and you all have good info on here. A few questions before I get started. Do I fill the lump up over the seam that is halfway up what I think is called the firebox. Is the top vents fully closed off and bottom open oing to get me where I want to be at 200 to 250. If I wanted to clean out the air holes during the cook, what is a wiggle rod and do I do it from the bottom sliding door. How long will it take/ what internal temp am I looking for. As for the drip pan, it should set on the plate setter and the butt on the grid..right. Should I put anything in the pan. Thanks. Justin

Comments

• bigguy136
    bigguy136 Posts: 1,362
    Options
    And can I ask what wood chunks to use?

Big Lake, Minnesota

2X Large BGE, 1 Mini Max, Stokers, Adjustable Rig

• rodent
    rodent Posts: 106
    Options
    Go to nakedwhiz site and check out his write up on doing a butt. Good place to start. Wil answer all your questions. I use peach since I took down a peach tree last year but hickory is good.
  • bluegrasstiger
    Options
    I have read a lt and you all have good info on here. A few questions before I get started. Do I fill the lump up over the seam that is halfway up what I think is called the firebox. Is the top vents fully closed off and bottom open oing to get me where I want to be at 200 to 250. If I wanted to clean out the air holes during the cook, what is a wiggle rod and do I do it from the bottom sliding door. How long will it take/ what internal temp am I looking for. As for the drip pan, it should set on the plate setter and the butt on the grid..right. Should I put anything in the pan. Thanks. Justin
    You will get varying opinions in this open forum.  I will tell you what works for me.  Fill with lump to the top of the firebox.  Light the lump in a couple of places to get it going.  Start to close down the vents as the temp nears cooking temp.  Be sure and let the temperature stabilize before beginning cook.  Top vent closed with about 1/8 to 1/4 inch of the daisy wheel open; Bottom vent open between 1/8 and 1/4.  Use placesetter with legs up, drip pan on place setter and grid on the legs of the placesetter.  I use apple juice and water in the drip pan.  Be sure to fill up the drip pan and check every 4-6 hours to make sure that pan does not go dry.  I cook at 235 at the grill which is usually about 265 -275 on the dome.  My butts regularly reguire 2 hours per pound to get to 195 internal.

You'll probably get other replies with some different methods...This is what works for me.
  • banzaitoyota
    Options
    Ii use a very similiar method as bluegrasstiger described