Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First overnight cook with new maverick et-732 advice.

Options
DboGamecock
DboGamecock Posts: 4
edited December 2011 in EggHead Forum
Doing a pork butt tonight with platesetter and drip pan with butt sitting on grid. I was wondering if I should put the probe other than the meat probe in the hole in the dome where the stock BGE thermometer goes or just set it on the grate next to the meat. I assume the cooking temp people are referring to on here in their recipes refers to the dome temp and not the grate temp. Any advice?

Comments

• Gardiner
    Options

When I do Butt's, I have a remote thermometer IN the meat all night with the cord going out through the felt gasket to a display on my table adjacent and the dome temp to monitor the egg itself. I am generally doing it for 12-15 hours at a dome temp of 215 -230. Once you get the temp stable, I have found I lose about 20 degrees over-night. My point is don't try to stay up all night. get some sleep and compensate in the morning.

Good luck, and enjoy.

Gardiner Large BGE Dallas
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited December 2011
    Options
    I don't think it matters too much, but I usually clip it to the grid (using the grid clip provided).  Keep in mind that the temp may read different than the dome (most likely lower but it depends on how high you load up the lump and how much you heat up the plate setter).   Don't worry too much about the temp difference as long as it is in the ball park.  If the dome temp is reading 250, and the Maverick reads 215 at first don't sweat it.  They will even out as the egg continues to stabilize.  I usually set the alarms on my ET-732 with a high of 275 and a low of 200 and go to sleep.  I usually wake up a few times and check on things. 

..btw, on my large the ET-732 probe won't quite fit through the hole in the dome.  

Clippy thing:

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• DboGamecock
    Options
    Thanks for the help guys!
  • bluegrasstiger
    Options
    One thing that has helped me  is to position the smoker probe with the clip on the grill over one of the legs on the placesetter.  The probe is not exposed to the heat directly and should give a more accurate picture of the temperature over the placesetter and drip pan.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,471
    Options
    The Maverick isn't the simplest device to set (its not designed by Apple  :D ) and I screwed something up the first time, and my fire went out overnight and I didn't know about it until the next morning.  
    If I could do it over again I'd set my normal alarm clock to go off at 2:00 or so, just to check things; especially if you have a dinner party deadline to meet the next day.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• njl
    njl Posts: 1,123
    Options
    The ET-732 definitely has some annoying features.  The way you set the temperatures reminds me of bad Casio watch programming.

The biggest annoyance so far, and I've only used mine once so far, is that the temperature alarm is apparently off by default...so on my first cook, I got lucky and happened to be looking at it when the meat hit the target temp.  I didn't realize the alarm sounding was off.  Make sure you have the alarm active...not just the temps set.

BTW, cooking at 225F (dome) with the platesetter, the ET-732 grill probe read the same temp as dome thermometer.