Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Tri tips in Ontario

rodentrodent Posts: 106
edited December 2011 in EggHead Forum
Anyone in Ontario ever get tri tips. Went to two butchers and they had never heard of the cut.

Comments

• SqueezySqueezy Posts: 1,102
    If you ever do please let me know ... I haven't found any either!
    Never eat anything passed through a window unless you're a seagull ... BGE Lg.
  • JasperJasper Posts: 378
    Where in Ontario? St Lawrence Market in Toronto would probably have some. I work near by, I can check in the new year.
  • rodentrodent Posts: 106
    Thanks jasper, that would be great. I can always make a trip to the market.
  • Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 28,742
    edited December 2011
    It is called triangle roast or sirloin tip here. I think when you but with a sirloin tip you get more then the tri tip. Here is the name of the muscle if it helps: tensor fasciae latae

Steve 

Caledon, ON

Thanks, I've seen sirloin tips but they are usually 4 plus pounds. People on the forum talk about 2.5 pound tri tips.
  • Where are you at?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

Niagara falls
  • Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 28,742
    edited December 2011
    I can't remember the name of the butcher in St. Kitts but he is one of the best. Shoot Tim from BGE an e-mail and I am sure he will help. He works with BGE.ca and you can get the e-mail from the web site. Primeggister or Chocdoc should be able to help as well. Don't want to point anybody to the other forum but...

Steve 

Caledon, ON

Checked St Lawrence Market, tri-tip was readily available, ranged from $7.99 - 11.99 per pound.
  • Jasper, that's a lot!  In San Diego, CA you can usually find them on sale about $2.99lb.  The worst is about $6.99.
    This Market is expensive to begin with, I only buy from there if I need something the grocery store doesn't have.