Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Christmas Fresh ham

LA6798
LA6798 Posts: 8
edited December 2011 in Pork
Here is a freash ham I did last night very tasty! Cooked for about 12 hours, rubbed it with nothing! IMHO a ham is lots and lots better than a Butt! Not near as fatty.  Merry Christmas
Ham.jpg 89.3K

Comments

• Squeezy
    Squeezy Posts: 1,102

I like the flavor of the butt better myself. How was the moistness of the roast? I assuming that you did not cure this leg ... correct?

When I've judged a whole hog competition, the hams & loins are my least favorite part.

What was your pit temp. and finish temp. on the roast?

May have to revisit a fresh ham again, only this time it will get the egg treatment....

;)
    Never eat anything passed through a window unless you're a seagull ... BGE Lg.
  • It is very moist, I stayed around 225 to 250  toward the end I let it creep up to 300. The butts are just way to greasy for me. Again MHO   
  • Squeezy
    Squeezy Posts: 1,102

Thanks for the info ... I hear ya on the grease .... unfortunately, I love the grease, although I try to remove all the unrendered fat that I can.

Main thing is ... you enjoyed it!

Merry Christmas!

Never eat anything passed through a window unless you're a seagull ... BGE Lg.