Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How would you cool down the egg after pizza to get it cooled down to start a brisket?

Options
Always Smokin
Always Smokin Posts: 111
edited December 2011 in EggHead Forum

I am going to make pizza and then need to put on an all nite brisket soon after.

How would you cool down the egg to get it ready.

it usualy takes a long time to get it from 600-700 to 200-225

Thanks for your help n Merry Christams and Happy Holidays

Comments

• howmeisterg
    Options
    Rebuilding the fire, as Tweev_tip said, could simply mean pour a bunch more lump on top of the de-ashed extinguishing lump. That will cool down the partiallyl lit lump and start the new lump at the same time. The ceramics, though, will take quite a bit of time to cool - like hours. So don't make too many adjustments after you start your brisket fire - just set it where you think it ought to be and wait.
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    It will probably taken quite a bit longer than 10 minutes to extinguish the fire.  Even though all the O2 has been consumed (asssuming you have an airtight cooker), there will be plenty of heat left in the cooker for the charcoal to reignite, and of course there will be charcoal smoldering for hours and hours.  Think about how you find glowing coals in the ashes in the fireplace the morning after a fire..  I'd guess you would need to let the cooker cool down to 300 or so, then maybe you could stir the ashes, clean out the ashes if needed, add more charcoal and smoking wood, then the meat and close it up.  It may prove to be a challenge to get the temp down further without snuffing the fire.  I don't think I'd try this unless I was going to be there to watch for several hours after the brisket goes on.
    The Naked Whiz
  • Squeezy
    Squeezy Posts: 1,102
    Options
    Be simpler to just do the pizza inside this once ... less hassle ... just my .02¢ worth! ;)
    Never eat anything passed through a window unless you're a seagull ... BGE Lg.
  • Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,567
    Options

Anyone who ever over shot their target temperature knows how
    difficult it is to bring it back down. 10 minutes is not even enough
    time to snuff the fire out especially if you were cruising in the 600
    to 700 degree range. I know this because I've shut my egg down at less
    then that and restarted after 20 minutes without any problem.

If you have a good set of hearth gloves I would kill the fire the
    best you can then scoop the charcoal out and start over with a new
    fire. Total time to do this would most likely be undert an hour. This
    would guarantee you have enough fuel to finish off a long cook like a
    brisket.

• hogaholic
    Options
    I agree with Squeezy - Convection oven pizza isn't so bad anyway
    Jackson, Tennessee. VFL (Vol for Life)
  • banzaitoyota
    Options
    Perfect reason to justify a second BGE
  • Squeezy
    Squeezy Posts: 1,102
    Options
    Short term fix vs long time fix @-)
    Never eat anything passed through a window unless you're a seagull ... BGE Lg.