Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Dome vs Grate Temps

joe@bgejoe@bge Posts: 394
edited December 2011 in EggHead Forum
I know this has been discussed and debated a bunch of times.  I just got a BBQ Guru (CyberQ II) and today I cooked a whole chicken.  I had the placesetter in and put the pit probe next to my v-rack that had the chicken in it.  I set the pit temp at 265 and the dome temp consistently read 220.  Is this differential normal?  I calibrated the dome thermometer so I know its accurate.  The Guru operated and held temps exactly as it should have - the grate temp stayed steady at 265 for over three hours.  I still have some experimenting to do with the Guru but just wanted a sanity check on the temp differential.

·

Comments

• bhuggbhugg Posts: 184
    I had the same happen the other day when i did a pork shoulder.  My dome temp was always 250 and my grate temp, according my my ET732, was around 280ish for a large portion of the cook.  
    Large BGE Dallas, TX
    ·
  • joe@bgejoe@bge Posts: 394

I've read the threads talking about the temp variances and it seems to be all over the place, but I guess there are several variables that go into this.  Placesetter in/out, how much lump, etc.  I'll be doing some more cooks soon, so I'll see how my results turn out.

·
  • joe@bgejoe@bge Posts: 394
    edited December 2011

My girlfriends Dad just bought a ET732 BGE remote thermometer...and his variance is close to an 80 degree difference (hotter on the grate than at the dome) - also with a properly calibrated dome thermometer.  I looked at the ET732 and there doesn't appear to be a way to calibrate anything.  He even took his first one back to the dealer because he thought it was broke.  The new one is basically the same way.

I know that there is supposed to be a difference - just seems like 45-80 degrees is a lot of difference - especially when most of the posters are reporting 25-30 degree swings.

·